• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sudden Fast Oil Leak

zeisshensoldt

After reading the manual it states the oil level needs to appear between the "add oil" and "full" mark on the dipstick. Well mine is clearly above the "full" mark, so I'm wondering if the oil leak could have occurred due to overfilling of the oil? Or would it have shown itself sooner than now?

panshark

another thing to check when you're looking at the oil level is the oil itself, that's on the dipstick. You're looking for a milky or cloudy mixture, which could indicate water in the oil (blown gasket or cracked engine head). You can smell it, to see if it smell like diesel--that's a whole nother problem in itself. If the oil level is over full, it can get that way by itself. When problems like the aforementioned manifest themselves, usually the oil is WAY overfull, maybe a couple gallons, etc. Just another thing to watch out for on a 40-year-old truck.

zeisshensoldt

Thanks, I'll keep a close eye on the symptoms. I had the oil changed the day I got the truck by a diesel mechanic. I watched him drain the oil and the only noticeable characteristic is that the oil appeared very watery. The term he used was "thin" so I suppose extremely old/used. Didn't see any water, diesel or coolant mixed in. Probably not a bad idea to change the oil again just for the heck of it.

panshark

hey many miles do you have on the oil change? It can get to be expensive changing out the oil before it needs it, because it takes gallons, not quarts.

panshark

I would say that as long as it looks and smells like oil, and the mechanic didn't complain about metal shavings in your oil at the last change, don't change it for at least 3,000 miles. Check it before every trip.

zeisshensoldt

Oh this is interesting. I was just in the process of replacing the ring seal around the top of my intake pump when I noticed that the orange rtv sealer was used AGAIN in place of a real gasket. :evil: Now this makes me wonder where else it was used.

Attachments

Last edited:

panshark

valve covers would be a good guess. I would also eyeball your intake manifold flame heater, it is prone to O-ring failure. I would verify that it's either plugged off (totally acceptable if you live in Northern Florida) or at least not leaking. If you start getting fuel puking out onto the top of your turbo, that is your flame heater o-rings...failing. Open the radiator cap, verify that you've got good, bright green coolant in there. Look in the access hatch under the driver's feet, check your brake fluid reservoir for proper (DOT 5 silicone brake fluid) level, and look for any funny business. Check the boots on the inside/under of your steering wheels, if the axle boots started to leak grease then RTV could likely have been used to patch it.

If you want to get a gold sticker by your name, crawl underneath and check the whole drivetrain. Oil pan--check for orange ATV in place of the oil pan gasket. Check the plug for abnormalities, including the plug being cross-threaded. Check your 3 differential plugs, for sealant (it should not be there). Check differential drain plugs. Based on your troubles, pay close attention around your transmission. Check the tranny drain plug, bell housing plugs, and the top of your transmission for another orange ATV job.

Good luck!