• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suggested paint colors for Deuce (other than OD or camo)

JohnnyReb

Hi Y'all.
I may be getting back into the timberframe business (closed last Feb. because of a fire at the mill that destroyed most of the equipment and inventory). Need a small fleet of trucks for construction: dumptruck (already possess M35A2); logging truck(already possess M35A2); crane(already possess M35A2). Thinking about adding to or changing out current trucks with M35A2s. Will have a generator truck, tool truck and enclosed general purpose truck (hauling material which need protection from weather).

I say all of this for a reason: To date, the deuces have simply maintained the original paint (as in the paint on the truck when purchased). If I go with an all deuce fleet then I want a common color scheme.

Here are the criteria: relatively inexpensive but durable; will get your attention on the road so to help in avoiding accidents (reason for no OD or camo); can be more easily spotted in the forest so crews will notice moving equipment (reason for no OD or camo);
Looks good on the deuce.

Leaning toward Red..... Has anyone used 2 tone or multiple colors?

Thanks in Advance
JR

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
School Bus Yellow, aka National Chrome. School buses use it for the same safety concern with good results.

saddamsnightmare

February 10th, 2008.

Have you considered sticking to the OD gloss paint, BUT use either the modified guntruck or EOD scheme from vietnam:

One transportation group used black trucks with Yellow 6" on front of hood and grill, one could also do the tailgates in yellow, with National Safety Yellow lettering on doors and black on tailgates and hood noses.

OR:

One EOD detachment in Vietnam used gloos OD trucks, with 6-9" of the front of hoods, grills, front bumpers, front fenders and tailgates and mud flaps done in FIRE ENGINE RED. One could use a contrasting lettering scheme for the hoods, cabdoors, and tailgates, thus optaining a sufficient contrast for the trucks to show up in your working conditions.
OR: Paint the trucks National Safety Yellow with Black Lettering and Scare Stripes on Nose and Tailgate.
Just my 2cents worth,

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan
1963 Mercedes Benz Unimog S404.114 (Swiss)
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Deuce Veteran Truck.

rofl

Capt.Marion

I have seen several trucks in white. Both gloss and flat white look very good on deuces, and offer a variety of options as contrast colors. My favorite is White with Black accents. It looks very professional. To me, SemiGloss OD doesn't cut it for a fleet vehicle.

JohnnyReb

Yellow deuce......... I will have to think about that. Can't picture it in my head.

Black with yellow or red contrast is interesting. Know of any examples to view?
Scare stripes.....maybe 10 years ago but too much gray hair today...

JohnnyReb

Re: RE: Suggested paint colors for Deuce (other than OD or c

Capt.Marion said:
I have seen several trucks in white. Both gloss and flat white look very good on deuces, and offer a variety of options as contrast colors. My favorite is White with Black accents. It looks very professional. To me, SemiGloss OD doesn't cut it for a fleet vehicle.
Would you know of any examples? The only deuces I have seen in white did not look good but they were not accented; kind of caused the truck to lose it's character.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Suggested paint colors for Deuce (other than OD

Yellow deuce......... I will have to think about that. Can't picture it in my head.
Think, Highway Dept trucks.
Take a look at Memphis Equipment's site. They have some pics of different colored trucks. http://www.memphisequipment.com/
This picture of a yellow truck is theirs.

Attachments

JohnnyReb

Re: RE: Re: RE: Suggested paint colors for Deuce (other than

doghead said:
Think, Highway Dept trucks.
Take a look at Memphis Equipment's site. They have some pics of different colored trucks. http://www.memphisequipment.com/
This picture of a yellow truck is theirs.
Thanks for the reference. I had not looked at Memphis in a long time.
Really like the yellow with black accent.

JohnnyReb

Re: RE: Suggested paint colors for Deuce (other than OD or c

Capt.Marion said:
Cap, I can see what you mean with the white trucks and black accent on Memphis Equip. :)

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you considering or concerned with the truck's re-sale value? I'm thinking that something more neutral and acceptable would help there.

Grey, white, black, or a combination of any of those would be my choice. Of those, obviously white would stand out the best in a forest.

I like grey.

How about the dessert tan? That's bright and it's still military. Is that an option for you?

JohnnyReb

oifvet said:
Are you considering or concerned with the truck's re-sale value? I'm thinking that something more neutral and acceptable would help there.

Grey, white, black, or a combination of any of those would be my choice. Of those, obviously white would stand out the best in a forest.

I like grey.

How about the dessert tan? That's bright and it's still military. Is that an option for you?
Not worried about the re-sale. I can buy 5 deuces for the price of a 1 low mileage medium duty truck. The M35's pay for themselves. I guess we are fortunate not many companies consider using 2.5 and 5 tons as everyday trucks or they would be much more expensive. Most people like the comfort of civvie trucks v. military....i.e. noise, drafty, radio, A/C, P/S. I can take the dis-comforts for the price and utility of the vehicles.

Have never been a big fan of the tan. That is not to knock anyones truck, but would not choose it over other colors...

kinetichotshot

If you go with red as you originally mentioned then they will look like fire dept. I think Black or even stay OD but use reflective lettering, think police dept decals.... One of my personal favorite colors is "Battleship Gray" but not sure how that would look on a Deuce, looks good on my 83 Chev 1-ton (not complete yet and has gone backwards in completeness or else I would post pics... :oops: \
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

FrankUSMC

I would go with yellow or white.
Yellow is the color we paint our trucks on the flight line for safty, you see them a mile away.
White, you could have magnetic signs made up with black UN on them. This way if the anti loggers come in to the woods you could tell them you are with the UN doing a study on the south eastern spotted owl and they should leave the area.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Capt.Marion

This is a reconditioned 812 (yes I know its not a deuce) that was done fabulously by Eastern Surplus. Truck ain't mine, and the piture is from Eastern Surplus's Website...

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To me white is a hard color to keep up. Around the bed, if the paint gets scraped off, rust really show up bad.

As far as the paint goes. Existing equipment companies usually have their equipment paint availiable. Like Catapiller & John Deere. There paint is good and not too expensive. Both of those companies have a semi-flat black for the frame & wheels. Cats mustard colored yellow is neat. Black cab roof, wheels & frame. The rest mustard yellow. Paint the lock rings on the wheels silver. it would be sharp & stand out.

Lee in Alaska

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Desert Sand. Will not blend into the forest, easily spotted in a green environment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks