• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suggestion to improve Classified ad searches

signmaker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am new to SS and have been searching the classified ads a lot.
I love the site and all the hard work that shows to have been put in to build the site.
I do have one suggestion concerning the classified section that would be of great benefit to finding things.

Order By: [Newest First] [Ending First] [Lowest Price First] [Highest Price First]

Maybe an option to [Nearest] could be added or aLocation listing column next to the PayPal , Price and times left columns.
I would like to see the Sellers location listed in the primary ad so the post would not have to be opened to find the location.
Some things such as vehicles or large items for sale might sell faster because of a closer proximity to the buyer and this would make the search faster.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a Great Idea.

I am constantly asking people to at least include their state in their location(as the rules request when they signed up).

Would you like to get all 16000 members zip codes for me too?:-?

Seriously, maybe someday we will have what we need to improve the site and be able to sort people out by zip codes(for multiple uses).

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ditto to doghead's statement. We'd have to get a uniform location, like a zip code so the software could accurately search for the stuff nearest you.

I'd love to see it.

I also expect dogs and cats to become friends, children to become well behaved and peace in the Middle East before it happens.

signmaker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seroiusly, It doesn't matter so much where they are except when they list something for sale.
Maybe the location should be required before a listing in the classifieds gets posted and then put it in a column by Pay-Pal . Call it "Location".

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am new to SS and have been searching the classified ads a lot.
I love the site and all the hard work that shows to have been put in to build the site.
I do have one suggestion concerning the classified section that would be of great benefit to finding things.

Order By: [Newest First] [Ending First] [Lowest Price First] [Highest Price First]

Maybe an option to [Nearest] could be added or aLocation listing column next to the PayPal , Price and times left columns.
I would like to see the Sellers location listed in the primary ad so the post would not have to be opened to find the location.
Some things such as vehicles or large items for sale might sell faster because of a closer proximity to the buyer and this would make the search faster.
I'm totally in agreement w/ that! I've spent loads of time clicking on ads only to find out where they were. Somethings are NOT worth having shipped long distance. Being on the west coast makes us about as far away as you can get from some of the "good deals" (not counting those in other countries). Being able to search in just the surrounding areas would keep down the disappointment of finding that ad that says " . . . parts, cheap, you pick up . . ." only to find out that it is as far away from me as geographically possible:evil:

I do want to say THANK YOU for creating and managing this site, it's most excellent:grin:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seroiusly, It doesn't matter so much where they are except when they list something for sale.

I like to know where people are anyway. I wish the members list was atleast searchable by state. That way you could find other members in your area or find members in the area you're broke down in. Or better yet, just update the member map.

emr

I think these are good ideas for sure, but this site has been around for awhile now, and has actually in my eyes tried to change with times, and keep members on track, { the hardest job I am sure} So I also see the situation, ...This site may be bigger than expected, hindsight is 20/20... I think itwould take a dedicated person some time to set that up the classifieds in a different format, I also think it can only be as accurate as those putting there info in, I do think the mods respond well to ideas, when they are doable. Better than i am in the MTA, I have always since early 2000s as a past pres. have said, great Idea put together a committee discuss the options u want and bring it up to us at a next mtg, and how U are going to implament this and let us vote on your awesome idea. and i am serious and offer good will on this, that really is a way to make a suggestion, alot of people never realize that a suggestion no matter how good and this is at the top of the list as a good one, that they are asking others to get to work and do it for them, I do not think most realize this and would welcome the chance to put an actuall plan together, look into the system u have and see what can work if anything..... !! I do not use the classifieds because they are hard for me to locate stuff ... So this suggestion is a very very good one down the right road, ...just sayin....Randy

Last edited:

ARYankee

I have a suggestion/question..... What about doing a sticky function for ads that you are interested in? Some way of bookmarking them almost like we do for threads. I know you could bookmark it in your browser but I was just looking for an alternative. If that would be too much work I would understand. lIke I said it is just a suggestion.

Brentzilla

I have a suggestion/question..... What about doing a sticky function for ads that you are interested in? Some way of bookmarking them almost like we do for threads. I know you could bookmark it in your browser but I was just looking for an alternative. If that would be too much work I would understand. lIke I said it is just a suggestion.
Exactly, like a watch list. I hate finding something, shooting the seller an email and not being able to find the thread again. Even with using search its very hard unless you remember exactly how they worded the title or discription. For example if the seller lists canvas cover and you search soft top you will never find it. A watch list would fix that.

Unforgiven

1-more adds per page (the server is very slow when clicking new pages)

2-subsections for MV trucks, trailers, civilian trucks, & misc.

3-photos only section (or search function)

4-longer idle time before being logged out (general website)

5-location of item on thumbnail listing

6-separate section for "wanted" items

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
People that would fill in all those options....

If you need to, you can always copy the address showing in your address bar and save that, that will get you back to the ad later.

Mat_Burn

if you require a separate "State" field in the classified post, you could then just use a state as a search term to narrow things down a bit, then search surrounding states, etc. That would be easier than trying to create software to sort things by distance.

asgtoolman

I agree that a "watch list" function would be great. I am sure that I don't know how to use this site [or any computer] to it's full capabilities. I'm almost intimidated to ask a question at times because I may be accused of not researching a thread or topic far enough and sounding like the private that I am.
I do salute the efforts that all of you put into this site and I read til all hours of the morning and learn more things than I will ever remember; it is amazing the wealth of knowledge that you put at my disposal. I only hope that at some point I can return the favor.

MedPig

How about just putting a column next to the PayPal column, and people could list their two letter state abbreviation. I see some great stuff, only to click the ad, and realize it's 3,000 miles away. If I could glance down the list, and only click on stuff within a decent driving range, it would be better. It's also a lot easier than listing every zip in the country...2cents

Seth_O

Would it be possible to seperate out the listings for vehicles being parted out? It would be great to be able to see that as it's own category.