• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suggestions for the Admins....

mr.travo

Hey guys, would it be possible to create a CUCV "How To" in the sub forums so we can post write ups in there? I would suggest that not everybody can clutter it up, but for you guys to throw articles in there that are detailed and include pictures. I was reading Top_prop's write up http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/73015-m1009-wheel-bearing-servicing-hub-replacement.html and it was great! I think it would help a lot of us users reference these topics without searching and reading through 1,000 posts. I would think it would also reduce the number of questions on how to do things that have been covered time and time again.

I don't know, was just thinking out loud. Thanks for lending an ear! [thumbzup]

Travo

mr.travo

PS- I am waiting on someone to do a write up on replacing the triangle window rubber with pictures [thumbzup]

Sooooooooo....... if you get bored :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Sportsmanfromkc

Use the FAQ thread for CUCVS it has alot in there of what your asking for..... copy the informative post and place it in there to help us all out......

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mr. Travo - regarding your post #2 pertaining to the vent window rebuild ------

During my project I tried to rebuild my vent windows but finally gave up. I purchased replacement rubber from LMC and disassembled the vent assemblies. I quickly discovered that the replacement rubber currently available does not fit correctly. The reproduction rubber is not the same profile as the original and is way too big. In addition, the vertical rubber must be glued to the post which is almost impossible to achieve properly. On the factory posts, the rubber is mechanically bonded with built-in metal tabs. The replacment rubber does not have these tabs. After spending substantial time and money messing with these things, I finally threw them in the dumpster and began searching for NOS rubber.

I then made another discovery - GM produced the replacement rubber components up until 1984. Beginning in 1985 the components were discontinued and the whole vent assembly became available as a unit including the frame, rubber, and glass. I searched for the pre-1985 rubber from all the vintage sources, but there is none left. So then I made the decision to search for the entire NOS vent assemblies and found them at GMPartsGiant.com . They were pricey, to say the least, but they were a bolt-in component and are factory-new. If you want to go this route, the GM part numbers are 15634471 for the drivers side and 15634472 for the passengers side.

Hope this helps.

mr.travo

Sharecropper, thank you again for your wealth of knowledge! I will add these to the list of GM parts I need. I know SOME things can be done with aftermarket parts, but most things need the original. I hate spending the extra money, but would rather have the CORRECT part that fits RIGHT and will last another 25+ years. Being a tough job to tackle, I only want to replace this rubber and felt 1 time! LOL!

Like I said, I have a list of part numbers and everything I am doing. Once I am done I am going to post on here what worked correctly and what didn't. I know I am not the only person going through this and trying to get the best bang for my buck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks