• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suggestions on buying a M934A2?

Polymerc

Hey guys;

New to the site and was looking at getting a M934A2 5-ton Expansible Truck Van. Not really concerned where it is right now, as I would take leave (active duty) and make a long road trip out of it.

So what are the pitfalls? (never had one or driven one) What should I look for? And what should I expect to bid/pay for one of these beasts? Thanks!

I have worked a long time on cars and trucks just not diesel, so not completely clueless.

Edit: I have a place in the states to put it till I am transferred back to mainland.

Your best bet is to find one thats fully operational and road worthy so you can drive it. From what I understand( not real familiar with the M934 type trucks ) is they are tall, the A2 I hear is to tall to be transported even on a RGN trailer. Just what I've heard.

Polymerc

Yeah I have been reading a bunch about them, the plate on the side qoutes.
Overall Length 244 in
Overall width 98 in
overall height 93 in
shipping cubage 1290 CU. FT.
Shipping Weight 9390 LBS
Shipping Tonnage 4.7 tons.

Most I have seen come with CTIS and have supercharger and turbo, with the 6CTA8.3 Cummins. All them appear to operate and run well, since the model is on the relatively new side 1990s.

The trailer won't be an issue because I plan to drive it to where I will store it at, but it will be a long journey, but from what I can tell most people can pick them up and drive cross country with minimal problems.

1StumpJumper

I have and M934A1

You are aware that the plate on the side lists the dimensions of the expansible van body only right?

My M934A1 runs across the scales at 29,500 lbs empty. Mine measures 11'4" high.

I have averaged 6.5 mpg over with 2300 miles driven so far. That works out to $0.61 cents per mile. Add fuel costs in to your purchase plan.

I run at 55-60 mph on the highway until I hit a hill.

Before you purchase, make sure you get LOTS of pictures of the the van body expanded, and in process. There are lots of areas where the van body holds moisture.

Make sure that the truck has the leveling jacks and the boarding ladders.

Make sure the air conditioner and diesel heaters in the van body work.

Send me a PM and I will give you my contact info.

We can talk story Brah!

Polymerc

Thanks for the offer, but I really like the CTIS and Automatic, granted I can drive the manual. Also the I like the larger tires as well. It seems that the auctions might give an overall better price because your trucks are amazingly clean. Plus I am in no hurry to get one, if I get a great deal then I will grab it, just have to transfer off this island first to be able to enjoy it properly.

CBKmountainman

Still have your 934?

I am buying one fully refurbished. I heard about the seals and to be sure they are good in the van body. My project is to only open one side and keep the other fixed. Is it hard to replace the seals so that it is excellent waterproof? Also how is it for insulation compared to a m109 box...if you know? Thanks for your time 1stumpjumper.

I have a very nice 1983 M934 for sale in AZ. It came from the NV NG and has been rebuilt, has AC in the cab with air ride seats.
It is in great shape. All things work.
Here is the link to when I picked it up.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?102723-Recovery-of-a-M934-at-Nellis-AFB&highlight=m934

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry but I sold my M934 before I had to deal with the seals in the body. I would say the insulation is about the same as the M109 box.

Still have your 934?

I am buying one fully refurbished. I heard about the seals and to be sure they are good in the van body. My project is to only open one side and keep the other fixed. Is it hard to replace the seals so that it is excellent waterproof? Also how is it for insulation compared to a m109 box...if you know? Thanks for your time 1stumpjumper.