• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suggestions on Large Tire Balancing...???

JxxxOxxxE

according to their chart I would need 16 ounces per tire, at $40 per 16 oz (what I found them for), thats $160...thats not gonna happen...

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried ceramic balancing beads in 14.5 x 20 Michelin XL tires with poor results (up to 20 ounces per tire). The beads helped but the tires still had bounce problems. I had them spin balanced and fixed the problem. Balancing is necessary, IMHO, not because of the improved ride but because of the irregular wear that an unbalanced tire suffers. If you want long wear, a balanced tire will last longer. I put a lot of higher speed miles on mine.

As for simply plugging these big radials, I tried that once. It cost me a tire. The outer layers sealed ok but there was apparently a little leakage past the inner layer. The tread separated as air built up between the plies. An internal patch is good on a minor leak but a patch-plug should be used on a larger puncture. That's a patch with a plug attached that pulls through the prep'ed hole.

I have been looking for super singles that fit a 20" wheel, have better than a highway tread pattern (want mud tires) and are as tall as the Michelin XL's, but have not found any.

spicergear

I'm running Dynabead ceramic beads in my XM-47's on my Unimog. They were never balanced by the previous owner and had slight wear spots but still at 80% tread. Michelin gets between $1,100 - $1,300 PER TIRE for these so I invested in the Dynabeads. There's a calculator on their website for the amount you need for the size of tire. Money well spent.

crazywelder72

I emailed Counteract and got a reply within a few Hrs. They said 20oz. should be sufficient but may need more.

I replied and am now awaiting info on what size particles to get because my tires are already mounted so i am going in threw the valve stem; and how much it is and where can i get it or do i order direct.

Depending on the cost i may have to go the air soft pellet route. I dont want to but cost is a majior factor these days. I can get enough pellets to do it for about $40.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
When i did tire work we used equel balance just dont get it wet, it turns to gooooo. and pluging a tire is not fixing a tire . if you pluged a tire that was used on the road in my shop you were fired on the spot!!!!!!

crazywelder72

i use 20oz of -10 windshield washer fluid in my 46" and 53" tires. works good
I forgot all about a liquid balance. A shop did that on my front wheel on my bike like 10 years ago, but i think they used slime.

I would think that a liquid balance would be ideal for the one wheel that has a inner tube.

crazywelder72

well I got my Airsoft pellets today that i ordered online. I let the air out of one tire and removed the stem and wouldn't you know.... The pellets don't fit threw the valve stem!:evil: The little i read about it implied they would. Looks like my buddies kid will get 8000 20gram pellets for zippo. I paid $22 and it would have been enough to do both front wheels.

I cant afford the counteract. It would cost about $60 a wheel. It looks like a awesome product, just cant afford it.

I wouldn't mind doing the Ceroglass but i cant get any info on particle size or pricing.

Looks like i will have to do the liquid balance unless i can get a massive amount of free samples.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks