• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suggestions on MEP-016b output issue

seek

I screwed up. I was taking my genny out for a walk and I have it configured 120v 3phase with one 4 outlet boxes hanging on each side of the genny frame one off each leg.

So I had two heater connected one on each side. I cranked it up got it all dialed in and applied the load and saw I needed to add in my kill a watt as I find both convenience outlets dead. so I go for putting it in the side outlet and then bam a big spark (i musta missed) and that side is dead, breaker tripped. I brought the breaker back on, but that side stays dead. Other side working. load at 60%, 60 hz, 125v.

Could I have burned up something generator related or did I more than likely fry the box? Its a stout box. It vibrates so bad and with a low skill set I want to wait until I run it for what I set out to do and then look into it. I am so happy it did not mess with me. It was fire within.

In the connection photo L2 is N, and I have the outlets grounds in the green nut run to a separate ground.

I could not stand it and went and tested the outputs and I am getting 125v there abouts on each leg so I guess something in that box gave away. Gosh i hope thats the case. The boxes are hanging by their straps wrapped around the frame and I am going to have to put something behind it to hold them steady for me. I missed them moving target apparently. I guess I tested it correctly using the meter's red probe to black and black probe to white. My genny sits on rollers and it vibrates a little more than i think it should..better than mice nests.

thanks for your input

Attachments

Last edited:

rustystud

More then likely you burnt a wire through. These generators are built super stout so I wouldn't think you hurt the generator itself. Start checking all the switches and wires for any burn evidence. Then figure out how you connected it wrong. I personally don't like the way the MEP-016 units are set-up. They make it very difficult to set-up and operate. That is why I will be rebuilding mine soon.

seek

I connected it wrong when I missed plugging the extension cord in. I got that solution figured out. Nobody agrees more than myself about its complications. Mine is setup permanently now. No more complicated stuff.

I wanted 10 hours on mine going into winter and I have it now I ran it 4 hours and except for me shorting the receptacle it was perfect. I also needed practice setting it up because I am keeping it mobile.

Those receptacles are removable without having to unwire it. I will look inside the box over the weekend and fix the problem.

On the control box convenience receptacles, do they operate when the switch is in 120v 3ph? My fuses checked out.

seek

I got around to working on this and I really like those outlets. I swapped them as you can just unscrew the box from the cable and the outlet box worked on the hot side and then both outputs on the terminals was good so I figured it was the cable and yes it was.

I looked at the wiring on the convenience outlets and it looks brand new. I was kinda chicken to have that control box open and it running so I skipped tracing the wiring to the terminal block. My gut tells me its the fuses since everything appears fine and the generator is working perfectly otherwise.

I checked the fuses with an ohm meter and got a big goose egg on both of them. Somebody got a favorite brand of fuse? I am using 250v 12amp ceramic fuse. Looks like a fuse is a fuse if it meets that standard. This brand worked before. I would imagine that having a vibrating lid open to put a meter on the fuse terminals could also be risky. Could I use some alligator clips and jump the fuse contacts start it briefly and look for power and shut off? Looks like there could be a safe way to test it? Not that that is safe. Suggestions

Thank you

rustystud

I got around to working on this and I really like those outlets. I swapped them as you can just unscrew the box from the cable and the outlet box worked on the hot side and then both outputs on the terminals was good so I figured it was the cable and yes it was.

I looked at the wiring on the convenience outlets and it looks brand new. I was kinda chicken to have that control box open and it running so I skipped tracing the wiring to the terminal block. My gut tells me its the fuses since everything appears fine and the generator is working perfectly otherwise.

I checked the fuses with an ohm meter and got a big goose egg on both of them. Somebody got a favorite brand of fuse? I am using 250v 12amp ceramic fuse. Looks like a fuse is a fuse if it meets that standard. This brand worked before. I would imagine that having a vibrating lid open to put a meter on the fuse terminals could also be risky. Could I use some alligator clips and jump the fuse contacts start it briefly and look for power and shut off? Looks like there could be a safe way to test it? Not that that is safe. Suggestions

Thank you
Just use your "volt-ohm" meter. Ohm'ing it out will tell you right now where it is good or bad.

seek

That's what I did and it zeroed out so they tested good. But the outlets are not working so I wondered if bypassing them would tell me more like if the tubes they sit in were part of the problem so I suggested the clips.

Can't be but so many things. It's like the external outlet I just fixed. No outward signs ended up being internal to the heavy duty cable. I just can't see it. Nothing is even brown.

Interestedly enough I went back and found a third manual the only one that mentions working on them and they say replace the outlet. I guess it's similar to the other outlet I mentioned. If you run out of options replace it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks