• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suggestions on what to do with NOS cab paint peel

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking for some suggestions hopefully by some experienced carc paint and primer painters. I picked up this NOS cab and it has a few spots of peeling paint. Upon my research, this is the water based carc with the white chromate and lead free primer. From what I have read, it's not the best at keeping the rust at bay. So my question is, what should I do with this paint/primer system? Should I blast it to clean metal? If so what should i prime with? And is water based carc the only option from Sherman Williams? If blasting is not recommended, how to I correct this issue and get a good feeling that more spots won't peel? Also I would like to add that underneath the cab is a nice undercoating that seems to be sticking pretty well. Also I do want to get the inside and possibly underneath Sprayed with Linex. IMG_4192.jpgIMG_4191.jpgIMG_4189.jpgIMG_4190.jpg

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Based on my CARC experience, I recommend you just touch up the peeled areas with CARC. There isn't much you can do about the periodic peeling except an occasional touch up. I'd do this over a total blast and paint.

Mos68x

Most experience I have with CARC is the touch up kits we had in the military, but if were me in your shoes I'd just blast the entire cab to ensure there was no rust at all and then primer it with your choice of base. I'd certainly be interested to see how your cab turned out with the Linex on it too.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Do it once and forget about it. Drop it off at a blaster's place and let him prime it once hes done. Make sure its a good primer and let it gas-out for about a week. Paint it however you want and never worry again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks