• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suitable sub batteries for MEP003

PaulbusMax

So the other day i took a little road trip and picked up my MEP-003. Oddly, when i bid on it, the batteries were present, however when i arrived to get it, they were gone. Oh well. My question is, where does one procure this type of battery, and what is the consenus on which battery to use as a suitable substitute?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The originals are the 6TL's that the military uses a lot. However for the price, any good group 31 battery works really well. I used a pair of 1000 CCA Interstates for mine. Compared to the price of a 6TL, you can get both group 31's for the price of one 6TL sometimes.

NEIOWA

You perhaps have a MEP-002 5kw? Two cylinder (single exhaust stack). The MEP002 uses 2TN size batteries. Get small car batteries.

The MEP003 uses 6TL batteries. GREAT batteries to my thinking.

kipman

My experience with 6tl batteries has been bad, help a guy who owns 100 military trucks, every 6tl that has sat is junk, we let interstate batteries sit for over a year and they come back.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used two Exide Orbital batteries. When I picked up my MEP-003A it didn't have 6TLs, it had two military Optima batteries, which were shot. All of the other MEP-003A gensets at Fort Jackson when I picked up also had Optimas installed, or at least the ones with batteries did. The Exides fit right in place, but were not quite as tall. I used Nylon spacers between the top of the battery brackets and the nuts on the verticle supports to take up the space. Be aware if you use Exide Orbitals you need to be careful installing the brackets so that you don't short out the positive poles on the batteries to ground.

PaulbusMax

You perhaps have a MEP-002 5kw? Two cylinder (single exhaust stack). The MEP002 uses 2TN size batteries. Get small car batteries.

The MEP003 uses 6TL batteries. GREAT batteries to my thinking.
Definitely have a -003, and all the info on batteries is interesting to read. The likes, dislikes, etc. Got around to tinkering with the set yesterday, changed the oil and filter, fuel filters, checked the strainer. Removed the tank and flushed it. (yuk) Found grounding rods and a fuel tube clamped in the chassis, cool. I should be able to go for start next time i play with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks