• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Super Charger M818

Wastelander

I've been reading a lot into the turbo upgrade for my 818, and it got me thinking about a super charger mod. Little back story for the truck, I'm turning it into a fun truck to bring out for wasteland weekend events, basically a bunch of mad max enthusiasts with crazy cars camping in the desert. I thought a pretty awesome wasteland look would be a big super charger sticking out of the hood, butterfly valves and all. Is this feasible with the turbo upgrade and fuel line split mod I've got in the works?

Also have plans for singling out the tires, removing the glide plate and putting a flat bed on the back, adding a winch, lots of cab upgrades (air ride caterpillar seat, lighting, 12v plugs, battery key switch, hard top roof, bunch of other stuff.) I'll never haul anything with it either, so I'll be removing some leaf springs to soften up the ride a bit. I work for a company that modifies big cat tractors and trucks for the mining industry, so I have access to a lot of cool parts like older but still working turbos, HID tractor lights, and a pile of other fun things to add to the truck.

Long post made short, is a super charger feasible on my M818? Thanks in advance, as the works starts getting done I'll start posting pics, cheers!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Anything can be done with time and money. If your already putting a turbo on it, I wouldn't waste my time and effort on a SC. you'll probably just blow the head gaskets with both.

Wastelander

Thanks, didn't even think about that. What about a fake supercharger. Honestly I just want the look of a working one, wouldn't have to actually do anything. Or maybe I could just do the supercharger instead of the turbo mod?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ehh, I love the whine of a belt driven SC, but there is a lot of work to put one on that will work to the motors advantage. I think it would be a PITA, but someone more familiar with SCs will have to post up.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd love to follow your lead on fitting a SC to your truck. I've imagined fitting a SC to many of my projects, yet I've never actually done any of them.

If you proceed, please post up on your calculations, compressor mapping, pulley ratios and other design considerations! I'd love to see your ideas brought to reality!

Rick

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The inline Detroits had had superchargers on their side and the V engines had them on top. They were two strokes for the most part.

I've never see a blower on the side of a four stroke in line diesel but that's not to say it can't be done.

It would prob require a lot of fab work and you might need a turbo to boot if you really wanted to tweak it for horsepower.

Post a lot of pics if you do it.

Wastelander

Thanks for the input, I'll keep things updated and pics posted as work comes along on it. I'm a welder/fabricator for a living with access to some good gearheads, we'll see I'd I can't get it figured out.

Lonnie

While it could work, the drawback is you are already limited to an approx 50hp boost before the stock engine is at risk due to lack of piston cooling etc.
To drive a supercharger for an engine this size, the charger itself will draw well over 50hp, meaning you used up all the available increase with a net zero at the flywheel.

It would be different if you could crank it up to 5-600hp, then there are gains to be had.
Unfortunately a turbo is still the way to go on a diesel... The high boost needed on a diesel always makes the parasitic losses high with a supercharger.

I have done some experimentation with supercharges on late model Duramaxes & it is a tough deal to get the boost high enough, while getting a reliable drive system to handle the power needed to drive the charger.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you just want "a look", paint a 100# propane tank blue and label it as NOS. Strap that on the back and make people stare and wonder.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The old 220 Cummins could be had with a side mounted super charger, this was before turbos was the norm. .It was more for high altitude then more power.

Wastelander

Right on everyone, I'll be sticking with the turbo mod and just mock up a supercharger for the look I want. I love the idea of the propane tank "nos" idea, thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks