• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Super High Oil Pressure - Reads 120 after 5 seconds!

collinsprinkles

Today when I started my M185A3 I checked the air pressure and saw that it was already at 120, I thought "dang, I didn't drain the tanks after driving yesterday" then I realized it was the oil pressure gauge!!! I shut it down immediately. What could be going on? Whenever I start it up it hits 120 psi in about 5 seconds. Is something seriously wrong or is it just a problem with the gage?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to make sure the sending unit and the gauge match. The is a 60psi version and a 120psi version.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the temperature there?

collinsprinkles

It's in the thirties. I freaked and called my dad. He said that once it would warm it the pressure would drop and it shouldn't hurt anything. I let it warm up as much as possible with a piece of cardboard over the radiator (I have the winterfront cover but still haven't had time to figure out how to install it), I took it for a little drive and once the engine got to around 160 the pressure dropped. I picked the truck up from southern cali so maybe I should put some less viscous oil in it? It does get pretty hot here in the summer though.

TAKPAK

If it has been working right up to this point, I would check the connections in the wiring. On my M35A2, the gage started going crazy, and it wound up staying pegged at the high end. Had me spooked for quite a while. Finally, after much checking, I discovered that at the connection to the sending unit, even though it LOOKED like it was firmly in place, it apparently was not. Pulled it out, lubed it up a bit, then re-seated it "firmly" and from that point on, the gage worked perfectly, running right at "spec" pressures. Phew.....now I can sleep again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks