• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Super single or duals?

GILBERT2020

Just bought 10 Michelin’s XZL 18 PLYs 12.00R20 for my M62 wrecker, will post photos of before and after.

But I’m reading that a lot of people are going super singles on 5TONs, why is that? I’m going to be pulling a lot of stuck tractors/dozers in my area, y’all think I need super singles?

as always, thank you for the priceless advice!

GILBERT2020

Thank you all for the info. This place has really helped me so much already. this project isn’t like most and knowledgeable info from you all are making me be able to make it happen. So thanks!

About to pull the trigger on some 16.00R20 Michelin XZL 22plys for my steer tires, anyone have any experience with these?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thank you all for the info. This place has really helped me so much already. this project isn’t like most and knowledgeable info from you all are making me be able to make it happen. So thanks!

About to pull the trigger on some 16.00R20 Michelin XZL 22plys for my steer tires, anyone have any experience with these?
No.

You have to run 395 85 R 20s on the steer.

Your 1200s are 44.5in tall. 395s are 46in tall. They will work and not bind up.

1600s are 53in tall. There are no street legal duals that will Match that.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No.

You have to run 395 85 R 20s on the steer.

Your 1200s are 44.5in tall. 395s are 46in tall. They will work and not bind up.

1600s are 53in tall. There are no street legal duals that will Match that.
And 16.00s are a bad choice for a wrecker in that they will absolutely kill the bottom end acceleration which is already dismal on a wrecker.

charlesmann

I could fix that problem in about a week. Lol
how would that be accomplished? Iv tried the injector pump tweaks, turning the star wheel, but didnt seem to do anything, so i turned it back to the position it was.

I could sure some extra umpf in mine, esp when i start using it as logging unit.

tobyS

Can I run 395 85 r20s as my steers with the stock rim? Is that safe to do so?
Not a budd, you need a Combat rim that is 10" and a beadlock. Wes has some and he's not too far. He probably has the Michelin XZL , which has 12,300# rating...higher than some same size.

Edit....check for heavy version of the wheel, I'm blank on name

Last edited:

GILBERT2020

Not a budd, you need a Combat rim that is 10" and a beadlock. Wes has some and he's not too far. He probably has the Michelin XZL , which has 12,300# rating...higher than some same size.

Edit....check for heavy version of the wheel, I'm blank on name
Thanks for the info TobyS. I did end up purchasing 2 Michelin XZL’s 395 85 r20s (as the steers) today and 10 Michelin XZL 12.00R20 (as the drives)

Wes- you got any heavy steer rims that will fit a 395 85 r20s?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
how would that be accomplished? Iv tried the injector pump tweaks, turning the star wheel, but didnt seem to do anything, so i turned it back to the position it was.

I could sure some extra umpf in mine, esp when i start using it as logging unit.
Diesel makes power off air and fuel. Your engine only has an H1E turbo on it. The same as a stock 24v. You need a compressor upgrade, injector upgrade, intercooler. You can get 350/380 from it.
Can I run 395 85 r20s as my steers with the stock rim? Is that safe to do so?
No you need combat wheels.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Must be some heavy mods to take a week to swap turbo sizes. Gotta be more than just putting a bigger turbo on it.
I didn't finish the post before it sent that.

Engine swap would be the easiest and best way to get maximum power with a 10spd

GILBERT2020

Thank you all for the info. Really helped me and saved me. Don't know much about tires, as you can tell. They don't have many YouTube videos on these trucks like they do on everything else.

Was able to get some combat rims from Feltz tire. Those boys are very helpful. Have two Michelin XZL's ( + ) 395 85R20's headed this way from them with two combat rims and then I got 10 Michelin XZL's 12.00R20's for my drives.

I will take some before and after photos so that anyone else who ever wants to do this set up can see what it looks like.

Next project after the tires are on is finding a DT466 to put in her.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't mind sharing, what's the freight going to cost and for what distance shipped?

I've looked at their items before but I imagine freight from Wisconsin to Washington state would cost a pretty penny...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks