• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

suppose k&n made filters for the deuce

rattlecan6104

I was pondering this earlier, and SUPPOSE that k&n made an air filter for the deuce. I dont know the price of a standard filter, but it would be safe to say a k&n filter would cost about 4-5 times as much. Do you guys think it would be worth it to purchase one,(consider possibly needing 2 recharger kits to clean/reuse it) and do you think it would add a few hp? Just pondering and hypothetical, I AM NOT SAYING K&N IS MAKING THEM, just pondering.

otisroy

FWIW, I read part of that thread and am not a big fan of K&N. The higher air flow may work to cool the turbo, but on my CBR954RR it was money wasted for those that bought them. The dyno doesn't lie repeatedly.

Jake0147

If you're sure that you want one, then before you switch, send out one of the relatively inexpensive NAPA oil analysis kits. Several is better, but it'll show with just one. Do it just before an oil change. Then throw in the K&N. When the kit comes back, that's your baseline. Then, do it again when you're just ready to change the oil again. When that one comes back, you'll throw the filter away.
Too small of a sample to accurately trace the wear metals that follow, but you WILL see a difference that is immediate and repeatable...

Alex400

Don't use them anymore. Had one in my motorcycle and in my dad's truck. When you look through you can see light far too easily. If you can see that much light, yes it means flow, but it also means a a crap load of dirt can get through there. there are other aftermarket filters that i would try before a K&N.

OD_Coyote

Back in 93 or so I used a K&N on my 92 Dodge with a cummins and after reading the results others were seeing from having an oil analysis done on their trucks, I decided not to use K&N filters anymore.2cents

randyscycle

My experience with K&N filters has been with motorcycles mostly and I can say a couple things:

They are generally so free flowing that most carbureted bikes won't even run without rejetting the carburetors. That to me isn't the drop-in performance they tout in their ads. Generall this is to the point of not even being able to idle or accellerate because of a lean condition. To me that means that they flow so much, they can't possibly filter as well. As to fuel injected bikes, I haven't seen or felt much difference, but I haven't put one on a dyno either, so that's strictly by feel.

K&N's are generally as dirty on the inside as the outside when you wash and re-oil them.

The throat of the carburetor is usually pretty dirty as well at service time. More so than a stock filter.

Many of them don't fit the stock airboxes as well, meaning gaps and potential unfiltered air entering the engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks