• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

surge brake assembly for m105a2

Nonotagain

They don't make one for the M105a2 trailer. The M105a3, yes, but not the M105a2.

Good luck finding one for the a3 as the part is listed as being manufactured by Pribbs Mfg who made the M105a3 trailer. I called them for replacement parts and they wanted to sell a complete unit for $650. And before you ask, the frame design of the a2 is completely different than the a3 trailer so installing the a3 unit will require "some" modification.

The cheapest way to convert is using a 7000 lb Dexter axle with electric brakes, but you al ready know that from your posting on the other thread.

The air over hydraulic conversion unit still requires that the tow vehicle have a trailer brake controller. The advantage of the 7000 axle is smaller tires.

pmramsey

Go to my photo galery on this site and see how I changed the trailer to fit a surge brake assembly. I removed the military landing gear and installed a bulldog jack. I cut the tongue and rewelded to fit a 24" high hitch on our Dodge and still maintain a level trailer. The M1008 trucks are 30 inches.

I use the Titan brand of surge brake. Get a higher rated one in the 8000-10000 lb range. I use the original brakes on the trailer and replace only the air portion of the system with the surge. It is a devil to get them balanced. Just keep driving and adjusting until the trailer brakes engage firmly so as to act as a drag on the truck without grabbing or lurching. They should be a bit slow to release so the truck pulls the brakes off the trailer without skidding.

amaverick88

Pmramsey, good work on the swap, I may take some ideas from you for when I do mine this week. Sweet trav ther are many options out there for the surge brake actuator like bolt on or weld on, with or without reverse lockout, and of course the max weight of the trailer. I would suggest to get one that is madefor just over the max gross trailer rating just to beon the safe side.

pmramsey

Pmramsey, good work on the swap, I may take some ideas from you for when I do mine this week. Sweet trav ther are many options out there for the surge brake actuator like bolt on or weld on, with or without reverse lockout, and of course the max weight of the trailer. I would suggest to get one that is madefor just over the max gross trailer rating just to beon the safe side.
The surge on the water buffalo has a reverse lockout and it is rated at 10,000 lbs. I have another for a straight M105A2. I must get photos and post in my photo gallery when the weather clears.

pmramsey

Looking forwar to seeing those pics pm when they are up so I don't cause a thread jacking.
We removed the landing gear and added a bulldog jack. The tongue was cut and rewelded to fit a 27-inch pintle height. This is good for our 4x4 Dodge 2500 and the M1028s. The trailer is level and tracks exceptionally well. We removed changed the tires to 9 x 20 10ply road tires for the smaller trucks and we converted from 24 to 12 volt lights to include a three-light bar and a backup light on the rear.

Attachments

amaverick88

nice work on the conversion. did that trailer have existing surge brakes on it or was it air over hydraulic. if it was air over hydro what type of brake lines did you use from the actuator to the axle?

pmramsey

We used stainless steel brake lines throughout. The line runs from the actuator to an adjustable flow valve mounted on the tongue just ahead of the trailer bed which we use to manually adjust and balance the brakes to the truck. We like the trailer brakes to be just ahead of the truck brakes and we lke them to "drag" just a bit so the truck gently pulls the trailer off its brakes.

The trailer had the standard air over hydraulic brakes before be began the conversion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks