• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Surge Brake ID

1talian0

Sorry if this has been covered already but, i am having trouble identifying the manufacture of the Surge Brake on my M1101 Trailer. I am looking to swap out the Pintle inner slide and replace it with an inner slide with channel . Picture's below . Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't tell you for 100% certain, but several of the internal components are the same part numbers as the Titan Model 6 including the master cylinder and surge damper.

EDIT: looking through the parts breakdowns I am not seeing an adjustable height hitch.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the important things are the outside dimensions and hole size/distance, as well as whatever it takes to actually activate the master cylinder.

As the actuator on the inside is the same part number, the holes should match. The back of each (or however you would refer to the end that installs into the outer housing) is basically flat and looks like it just pushes against a flat piece with a rod in it so that shouldn't be an issue either.

That just leaves the outer dimensions. That should be as simple as making a phone call to verify it.

I think the main difference between the one for the M1101/1102 and the commercial model is the military one uses a cast outer housing assembly and only has the holes needed to mount to the trailer, and the commercial model is more universal in mounting and appears to be formed steel.

1talian0

the important things are the outside dimensions and hole size/distance, as well as whatever it takes to actually activate the master cylinder.

As the actuator on the inside is the same part number, the holes should match. The back of each (or however you would refer to the end that installs into the outer housing) is basically flat and looks like it just pushes against a flat piece with a rod in it so that shouldn't be an issue either.

That just leaves the outer dimensions. That should be as simple as making a phone call to verify it.

I think the main difference between the one for the M1101/1102 and the commercial model is the military one uses a cast outer housing assembly and only has the holes needed to mount to the trailer, and the commercial model is more universal in mounting and appears to be formed steel.

thanks again for your help

Jeepadict

Good call on the idea, I'm getting ready to do the very same thing to my 101A3. Parts sourced from the manufacturer directly.

If you're unable to find the exact part you want, I've seen many have torched off the Lunette and welded the channel in its place.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

tobyS

You can cut the ring off and weld....its cast steel. Mine has a stop bolt to prevent actuation at the end of the ram. I have not finished making my brake lines and wanted a way to lock it out.

There is my ring being put to use on a 1061 tongue extension

Attachments

1talian0

Good call on the idea, I'm getting ready to do the very same thing to my 101A3. Parts sourced from the manufacturer directly.

If you're unable to find the exact part you want, I've seen many have torched off the Lunette and welded the channel in its place.

I have seen that as well but figured someone had to make them. smh
Who did you get your parts kit from ?

Jeepadict

I have seen that as well but figured someone had to make them. smh
Who did you get your parts kit from ?
Directly from Mendenhall Industries. The owner hooked me up! Unfortunately, the braking/coupler tongue assembly on a 1101/1103 is from a different manufacturer as I understand.

Jkgts1

Sorry I know this is an old post, but in case others are wanting to know. I was doing this exact thing last year, when I found one that might fit it was a special order. I ended up making my own. The problem with stock channel is the dimensions, 3”x 2.5”. Not really a normal tube size. I got 3” square tube 1/4” wall, chopped 1/2” off of it and welded it back to make my own 3”x2.5”. I also had to get the 2 wheels inside the surge brake machined down so they would slide in my new tube. I cannot remember how much I had to take off, maybe 1/8”, wasn’t much but without a lathe it would have took me forever. It was lots of work. At the time I was not sure if I could weld on the original ring.

pmramsey

I replaced the surge brake on my M1102 trailer ten years ago with one made by Titian. Keep searching on the site. You WILL find what you need there to include the proper weight load for the trailer.

pmramsey

I knew I could find what you need itf I look long enough. This is what I used on the M1102 and M105A3 trailers.

Surge Brake Replacement parts for Military trailers. Search for Titan/Dico Model 6 hydraulic brake actuator

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I knew I could find what you need itf I look long enough. This is what I used on the M1102 and M105A3 trailers.

Surge Brake Replacement parts for Military trailers. Search for Titan/Dico Model 6 hydraulic brake actuator
Neat! I have definitely discovered that the magic of being part of this group is somebody who has been there and done that.
Especially somebody with a searchable description. For me the name of what I want to find takes more time than any repair!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks