• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Surge brake lockout Pin / Hole Doesn't Line Up

ACO43

I did a search and found a thread from 2011 where they were discussing this problem but it didn't seem to have a final resolution so I'll ask.

The hole where you can put in a pin to lockout the surge brakes for backing up doesn't seem to be lining up on my M116A3 trailer. I haven't really needed it yet but probably will once the surge brakes are back in operation and I have the extra weight of the camping trailer body I'm building on it. I tried to get a 3/8" bolt through there, just to see what size hitch pin I might need and I can't get it to go all the way through as the internal hole isn't lining up with the holes in each side of the actuator housing.

Is there an adjustment for this or can the hole be enlarged slightly or what else, if anything, can be done? The only (sort of) solution in the 2011 thread was using a tapered pin and "tapping" it into place with a hammer...the old "if it don't go, force it" method. I would prefer that it just easily slip in like it's (allegedly) supposed to.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No adjustments
Just push or pull on the hitch ring until it does.
Sounds like your shock is good and you need to overcome its pressure to line up holes.
Using a heavy Phillips screwdriver on one side for alignment while inserting pin on other should work. If the Phillips is able to go into hole a bit.
Make sure your brake away lever isn’t catching any teeth.

You’ll just have to play with it and see what works best.

Brakes working properly I assume?

ACO43

Brakes working properly I assume?
Thanks for the response.

Brakes aren't working yet, just starting to work on that. The Master Cylinder is empty but it looks clean (no corrosion). There was a bunch of silicone all over the banjo bolt and MC block so I'm thinking that it may have a bad washer and it all leaked out there and the silicone was their attempt to stop that leak. So, next step, when I get a chance, is to get new washers in there and then fill it with DOT 5 and see if or how good, it works. Then I'll determine if I need to pull anything else apart. I will pull the drums sometime soon mainly to check (and replace if necessary) the bearings so I'll check the shoes and wheel cylinders and such when I'm in there.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you need factory surge assembly parts
www.crofttrailer.com
The surge shock is usually the most expensive part to replace and Croft Trailer has the best price anywhere and their customer service is excellent.
Dexter Axle and Redline will have the drums/brake shoes/wheel cylinders.
Recommend Timken for bearings and federal mogul for seals.

Don’t waste your time and money on China junk parts.
Buy the good stuff and it will last for years.

The surge brakes are absolutely wonderful when properly maintained.