• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Surge brake lockout safety tip!

Tymkpr

Its not quite 1/2" hole but the inner hole is off set over an 1/8" so the 3/8" pin might go with force but now I see you are saying that hitch pin bent as well....hmmmmm

I have yet to look but what would happen if one was to drill a 1/2" hole clean thru?

Would I be cutting into something I shouldn't?

Then a 1/2" pin could be used.

hwcurtice

Take it off! There are not good for much anyhow.2cents Your trailer will thank you and so will your truck. reduction in weight.
So, in case I do want to take mine off, are there actual instructions on how to do so? Are there parts I would need in order to keep the lunette connected?

Do tell.

Xerofall

Here's a tip for storing the lockout pin when not in use. I'm a big fan of keeping things with the trailer, instead of in the cab of the tow vehicle.

I put the pin in one of the holes below the hand brake, the brake is still operable too.

Attachments

Ressoldier

Take it off! There are not good for much anyhow.2cents Your trailer will thank you and so will your truck. reduction in weight.
One reason I am going to swap entire axle with one that has electronic brakes(and lug pattern to match my truck). Should save a lot of weight. I will also see if I can locate the proper specs for the lock out pin at work tomorrow for those that want to run them still.

Terracoma

I looked at my trailer today and the hole you run the pin through seems to be off center and the pin won't go through. Any idea why and how to resolve the issue?

I'm having a similar problem with an M116A2E1 trailer that I recently purchased.....

My shock absorber compresses and extends normally, but the slot cut in the upright piece of the coupler is low and rearward of the holes in the main housing. I've hammered, I've hooked the trailer up to my truck and given it several firm pulls, all to no avail... The lunette coupler is physically as far forward as it will go, and the holes just won't line up. It's only off by 1/8" or 3/16", and no amount of hammering has encouraged things. I've attached a drawing for clarity.

Any wisdom out there?

Attachments

lexluther

I know you said you have been hammering, but have you tried hammering in a tapered pin to see if it pulls it into line? Does the 3/8 pin fit, and you are trying to get the larger pin in?

Terracoma

... but have you tried hammering in a tapered pin to see if it pulls it into line?
I've tried a tapered punch as well as several different sized screwdrivers, nothing moves the lunette coupler any further forward.

My M101A3 and a previous M116A2 both pinned easily with 3/8" Grade-8 bolts, but this new trailer isn't having it.

Last edited:

Riftweaver

For something strong, how about a piece of 3/8" drill rod? You could taper one end of it and drill it with crossholes for clips to retain it.

lexluther

Me too...

Checked mine tonight when I got home...sure enough the pin that used to fit in the perfectly aligned hole, no longer works...odd. I didn't have any time to look at it other than to see it now has the same problem as yours. I will check it out this weekend and check back in here with the result.

lexluther

Terracoma
Are the parking brakes on?
Doesn't seem like it would make a difference, but I know mine used to work just fine. I'll try it in the morning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks