• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

surging on cold start up

donttreadonmebmg

OK guys,

The last few times I started the truck "1965 M52A2" it seems to surge between 700 & 500 rpms and then smooths out after or just before the Low pressure buzzer goes off. what's up? It seems to run fine other wise.
Seems to me it's not getting enough fuel. this only happens on a cold start. My brothers farm tractor does the same thing in the winter, it's like not all 6 cylinders are firing until it warms up.

Any help would be appreciated.
:D

Scrounger

[FONT=&quot]If the idle is oscillating after the first start the governor may be sticking. The simplest way to describe it is a plunger with a spring that closes down the fuel by restricting how much will flow. If there is any varnish on the parts in the governor the plunger will stick and the fuel flow will oscillate. When things warm up and expand from the heat the idle will settle down. A fuel additive like BG Industries 44K will clean the varnish out and may help the idle. And of course changing the fuel filters is never a bad thing to do. [/FONT]

donttreadonmebmg

Thanks guys I'll change the filter next weekend and check out what you just described Scrounger.

I love this site so much good info excellent!

Oh what a nice day, it started out to be, then I drove the truck up to Lake Erie to the car show and wouldn't you know it coming home from the show all the belts let loose just as I exited the free way ten miles from home at 9pm but my wife was following me in the mini-van. So. I left the truck there along side the road and went home and grabbed all my old belts and with the help of my neighbor and good friend Alex, we installed an alternator belt and drove home with no problems. I'm going to go through all my old belts and finding the ones that fit and tossing those in the truck with the tools required to replace the belts all in one water tight bag!!!

Still loving it!!! ;) I like some adventure every now and then.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks