• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

surplus helicopters?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen a bunch of CH-47s come out through GSA within the last year or so too. Many looked rough, but based the info in the auction (and the price) all looked air-worthy.
Any idea of the closing price? Not that I could afford one, just curious...

Avn-Tech

GSA recently listed several OH-58's UH-1's and UH-60's, even a CH-47. But they all went for high dollars.
They also had Complete flying Sherpa aircraft and a parted out P-3.
I was watching and trying to buy a C-119 & C-123 several months ago, but they exceeded my budget by about $2K.

Laterrrrr
Avn-Tech

Another Ahab

Just wondering if they were in the, say, $30K range or something closer to $300K.

Like, any chance of a reach at all or just totally out of reach altogether; you know?

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They all went for well over 200k.

The acquisition price isn't the expensive part at all. That's cheap.

The real cost is making it airworthy and able to pass all the inspections.
When one, just one rotor blade is over $90k. Not one set. One out of 6 (for the 47hook anyway)
List is endless.
Price really adds up fast.
Then.....
The 7-8 minimum hours of maintenance for every flight hour.
Then fuel
and on and on........

Doesnt take a genius to figure out why only governments (or billionaires) can afford to fly these.

oregonfirefighter

There are a couple heavy lift and Wildland fire companies that now own and operate Firehawks ( Blackhawks). Firehawk helicopters out of Idaho is one of them. Also LA County has a couple in use as rescue and fire suppression.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a couple heavy lift and Wildland fire companies that now own and operate Firehawks ( Blackhawks). Firehawk helicopters out of Idaho is one of them. Also LA County has a couple in use as rescue and fire suppression.
Helicopters for "Public Safety/Public Use" are much less regulated than a standard civilian operation.
Legally, if you fly PS aircraft, like a police or fire dept, you don't even need a pilots license. Yes it's true.
All departments and agencies do require a license of course, but some Indian tribes do not.
A lot of the FAA rules also don't apply since PS are exempt.

Anyone flying a non-military hawk either has a VERY good contract and/or public funds to keep them flying.
It takes a LOT of $$$ to do so.

They are a blast to fly.
I have many years flying them.
But they cost a lot to keep them running.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
They had a bunch of Vietnam era helicopters in the inaug parade last week. Drove them down the parade route on trailers. Quite nice.

Another Ahab

Helicopters for "Public Safety/Public Use" are much less regulated than a standard civilian operation.

Anyone flying a non-military hawk either has a VERY good contract and/or public funds to keep them flying.
It takes a LOT of $$$ to do so.

They are a blast to fly.
I have many years flying them.
But they cost a lot to keep them running.
Didn't know that licensing detail.

I think I saw somewhere that the rule of thumb for "flying machines" (of all kinds), is 8 hours of service and maintenance for every hour of flight time.

Is there anything to that; is it close?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I think I saw somewhere that the rule of thumb for "flying machines" (of all kinds), is 8 hours of service and maintenance for every hour of flight time.

My only helicopter maintenance experience was MH-53's, and 8 hours isn't even remotely close.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Totally depends on the airframe. (Type of helicopter). I haven't a clue about fixed wing.

The type and number/complexity of systems onboard affects the number also
Autopilot, radar, etc.
Some systems are a bear to troubleshoot/repair/adjust , which eats up time.
Age/Hours of the airframe also affects it.
Just like your car....The older a helicopter is, the more maintenance it requires.

Basic rule of thumb.....the bigger the helicopter.... the more maintenance hours for each flight hour.
I know exactly what they are for the army helos but can't post it.

Yea.
It adds up.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My only helicopter maintenance experience was MH-53's, and 8 hours isn't even remotely close.
Would guess close to 14-17 maintenance hours per flight hour in that beast.
Never flown one and have been inside only a few times.
Those are old airframes.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would guess close to 14-17 maintenance hours per flight hour in that beast.
Never flown one and have been inside only a few times.
Those are old airframes.
Multiply that by 4 and you are getting close.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks