• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survival 109 build

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today pulled all of the wood flooring up. Expected a lot of rust, wasn't disappointed. Heavy rust and many holes in the back as well as heavy rust in the front. Center between the wheel wells was the best condition. Still have about half of the bolts to remove. Then I will Ospho treat the rust and patch the holes. Next will be insulation and plywood.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Today pulled all of the wood flooring up. Expected a lot of rust, wasn't disappointed. Heavy rust and many holes in the back as well as heavy rust in the front. Center between the wheel wells was the best condition. Still have about half of the bolts to remove. Then I will Ospho treat the rust and patch the holes. Next will be insulation and plywood.
You got a major piece of labor out of the way there, QUADJEEPER; I know that was a lot of work.

It's hard to tell, but was the flooring some kind of tongue-and-groove 5/4 stock laying directly on the metal sheet pan (i.e., no sleepers)?

And was it bolted down? Or are those studs of some kind?

Another Ahab

That was some major labor you got done there QUDJEEPER; and I know that was no piece of cake.

It's hard to tell, but is the flooring some kind of tongue-and-groove 5/4 stock layed directly on the sheet metal pan (i.e., no sleepers)?

studs.jpg

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was some major labor you got done there QUDJEEPER; and I know that was no piece of cake.

It's hard to tell, but is the flooring some kind of tongue-and-groove 5/4 stock layed directly on the sheet metal pan (i.e., no sleepers)?

View attachment 550680
Was a lot of work. Tongue & groove 1+ inch oak boards. Very dense wood. Carriage bolts through the crossmembers under the sheet metal sub floor. Wood was directly on the rust, er, metal subfloor.

Another Ahab

Was a lot of work. Tongue & groove 1+ inch oak boards. Very dense wood. Carriage bolts through the crossmembers under the sheet metal sub floor. Wood was directly on the rust, er, metal subfloor.
That must have been a nightmare busting those boards off of the carriage bolts (looks like they're about 6" on center).

I wouldn't even want to think about messing with all that.

Jeepsinker

I heard once that these trucks were only built to last a month on the battlefield. I know for fact that they were built quickly and cheaply. If it was something they deemed important to last they would have made it from stainless. It is just a lucky side effect that our trucks last as long as they have and do.

rustystud

I heard once that these trucks were only built to last a month on the battlefield. I know for fact that they were built quickly and cheaply. If it was something they deemed important to last they would have made it from stainless. It is just a lucky side effect that our trucks last as long as they have and do.
Makes sense.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That wouldn't be very good for my moral if I was manning one of these trucks and knew the military didn't think the truck would last more then a month on the battlefield.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I plan to start turning my 109 box into an off road RV. What do you plan to do with the floor?

I need to figure it out myself, just know I want a solid foundation if I am going to spend time and money building it out.

rustystud

That wouldn't be very good for my moral if I was manning one of these trucks and knew the military didn't think the truck would last more then a month on the battlefield.
When I was in the Marines as a tanker, I was told our life expectancy in combat was 5 minutes ! That's why tanks always travel with a unit of ground troops. Their there to protect the tank, not the tank to protect them.

61sleepercab

I always heard that troops want in the tank while the tankers want outside. Local veteran was a tanker when his tank disappeared in a German house basement when he pulled into the house to hide his tank. He ordered everyone out and pulled the pin on a grenade to put his tank out of its misery, his commander said no and you will walk the rest of the war. Grenade down the hatch, and he finished the war on foot. Mark

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I plan to start turning my 109 box into an off road RV. What do you plan to do with the floor?

I need to figure it out myself, just know I want a solid foundation if I am going to spend time and money building it out.
Will be using Ospho rust treatment on the solid rusty metal, replacing the rotted out metal, insulating it then using plywood.

Another Ahab

When I was in the Marines as a tanker, I was told our life expectancy in combat was 5 minutes ! That's why tanks always travel with a unit of ground troops. Their there to protect the tank, not the tank to protect them.
That's a real morale booster, right there:

Doctor: I have some good news and bad news.
Patient: Ok, well... Give me the good news first.
Doctor: You have 24-Hours to live.
Patient: How is that good news?!? So what's the bad news??
Doctor: I've been trying to call you since yesterday.

Last edited:

Clay James

I remember doing that floor job on mine in the blistering heat of July after I had pulled all the inner walls and insulation out. Of everything I've done on my 109, that job sucked the most! But it had to be done and I'm glad it's done. I used POR15 all around the bottom of the box and 1" plywood that I coated the underneath with roof sealer for the floor. I'd like to somehow insulate the floor as it gets COLD in the winter.

Another Ahab

I remember doing that floor job on mine in the blistering heat of July after I had pulled all the inner walls and insulation out. Of everything I've done on my 109, that job sucked the most! But it had to be done and I'm glad it's done. I used POR15 all around the bottom of the box and 1" plywood that I coated the underneath with roof sealer for the floor. I'd like to somehow insulate the floor as it gets COLD in the winter.
You know, there is some kind of insulated structural material that's used in post-and-beam construction for roofing. It might work for this application. Because you're right: a cold floor kills all sense of comfort, even if the air temp in the space is toasty.

I'll see if I can't find something about that, and post it up.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

You know there is some kind of insulated structural material that's used in post-and-beam construction for roofing. It might work for this application. Because you're right:a cold floor kills all sense of comfort, even if the air temp in the space is toasty.

I'll see if I can't find something about that, and post it up.
I found a place to start. It might not be exactly the best solution to the problem, but maybe you can get some ideas from the concept.

The product is called an "Insulated Panel System"