• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survival 109 build

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a post about it on the forum, I gotta dig it up (linked in my build thread as well). He installed a 5 speed if I remember right, .79 overdrive.

I'm wanting to install their RTOO9513, 14513, or 16513 in mine. 13 speed with 12:1 1st gear, and a .62 final overdrive with no big gaps between the gears.
Sounds good red. Keep me posted on what you find and do.

6x6guy

Standard transmission - the truck as already noted is overweight for that transmission - its like driving a 2 1/2 truck around to its loaded limits all the time, the transmission is its weak point - just baby it - basically its all you can do, and keep a fresh rebuilt ready to go. Then you have to worry about the injector and pump and the list gos on from there.
I did a little checking years ago - looking for a upgraded version or even a after market HD transmission - the options were very limited, and because of the age of the truck it didn't meet my requirements I had set.
And the decision was set to alter my plans to build a trailer insted, there were many more options such as upgrading to a newer truck every couple of years, and just coupling up and go.
I'am one of those guys who don't put all their eggs in one basket- things change and it's all ways for the worst, never had one go better for me.

rustystud

The high gear go's out first in most situations that I have had.
The problem is the overdrive. It must spin at a different rate then the mainshaft. In a standard transmission the high gear is a "one to one" ratio. No spinning, no use on the bearings. This has actually been a problem in the car world also. Until in the last decade, manufactures have drastically changed the transmissions and how they get lube oil. In a "roadranger" or equivalent type of transmission they use two or three shafts to carry the load. They also divorce the overdrive and underdrive units from the main box. They are physically still attached though. This is one reason I wanted to go back to the older Spicer transmission with a direct 5th gear, and use a Brownie Box for overdrive. Though "Jatonka's" overdrive kit helps solve some of these issues.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm done with the truck. Been beating my head against the wall for too long. Nothing going right anymore on the build and I keep pouring money, time and effort into it without results. People I ask for infrequent help fail to show up and whatever I touch either breaks, doesn't work or screws up. So I have finally lost interest. Georgia Rally not going to happen for me. Gonna try to tie things up and cut my losses. Not sure how much I'm going to ask for it, but won't be much.

Another Ahab

I'm done with the truck. Been beating my head against the wall for too long. Nothing going right anymore on the build and I keep pouring money, time and effort into it without results. People I ask for infrequent help fail to show up and whatever I touch either breaks, doesn't work or screws up. So I have finally lost interest. Georgia Rally not going to happen for me. Gonna try to tie things up and cut my losses. Not sure how much I'm going to ask for it, but won't be much.
What happened?
That's an unexpected reversal; never saw THAT coming.

Clearly something made the last straw. Can you give us more of a clue?

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have owned more than 16) M35 series trucks, and the only problem with the M109 I found through the years was that I owned was a problem with the transmissions - due to the extra weight of the bodies approx 5000 Lbs and another 3000 Lbs of misc goodies affixed in to and around the trucks weight- the week link was the transmissions. Replaced a couple in the of transmissions even one in Kentucky at Knob Creek one year- had a friend bring down one and changed it out.
Talked to a couple of other M109 owners and it has been a problem - but more of a specific design flaw- those transmissions were designed in the 50s and should have been updated or better replaced with a heavy duty designed one, but if your the Government its cheaper to just change it out more often.
I very much enjoyed the truck while I owned it, but was introduced to the 900 series years a go and decided that was the route I was going.
Er, I have had two m109s over the years, one for almost 9 years now, run the wheels off it, put over 40k miles on it, a lot of times loaded down and pulling a trailer, 0 issues with the stock transmission. I hope a worry about the transmission isn't the main reason for you quitting the project. I know a ton of little things can add up. I was excided to see it in person at the rally but you have to do what you feel is right for you. Hate to see you stop when the end seems to be in sight.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok folks, I've been dragged back kicking and screaming from the edge by RAYZER. He came over today and beat the stuffin's out of me and told me to man up. Then he helped me out of the issue I was having. It doesn't seem like much on it's own, but I've just been over whelmed by so many problems and delays. And of course cost overruns. I am replacing all of my wheel cylinders with the larger A3 ones. Last weekend I got ONE done. Ugg. So I figured this weekend might try to get 3 or 4 done. Not in the cards. Started pulling the right rear wheels off, got the outer off and 4 of 6 inner nuts off, the other two I rounded off the square drive head with a good socket and a torque multiplier. My 3/4 impact wouldn't budge them. So I tried every which way to Sunday to get them off, no such luck. Even double nutted and welded the nuts, still wouldn't budge. RAYZER called yesterday after my pitty party post and we discussed the situation. He offered to come by today and see what he could do. So before he got here I removed the inner wheel, drum and hub assembly on a furniture dolly so we could separate the drum from the hub if need be. Well Ray shows up and scratches his head for a few minutes and said let's just weld one nut on and then impact it off. Well his welding is much better than mine, and after two tries, we got the first one off. A few minutes later the second one was on the ground. THANKS RAY! So instead of using a torch to cut off the two studs, I now just need two inner and two outer nuts. Amazing how a few hours not getting anywhere can destroy ones attitude. So I at least got one more wheel cylinder installed and the bearings packed, will order the nuts this week. Am getting extras just in case. L and R hand threads. Did one other small project this afternoon, installed an aluminum channel over the driver door window for a rain gutter. Since the glass is a poor fit with the hard top, it should help. Cheaper and easier then replacing the glass runs and weatherstrips. Right door next. Also picked up a used ICOM IC7200 transceiver from peebay this week. Had a ham friend of mine check it out, works well. This one will be in the living area of the truck. Now for my license so I can actually use it and the 2 meter radio's that I have. Maybe this winter. Thanks guys for all of the support, sorry I flaked out there for a bit. Still don't know how it all will be done in time for the Oct. GA Rally.

Attachments

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't wimp out on us now Scott!

There is not one person who has turned a wrench that hasn't had something go in the toilet or grenade for no obvious reason. You just need to step back, take a break and evaluate the problem.

A second set of eyes looking at a problem is also a good thing as you have found out. Sometimes you can stare at a problem and not see a simple solution.

Now gut it up and get that thing finished! You have come too far to quit now!

red

I had a similar problem with the studs on my rear axles. Cut them off with a torch and replaced all my studs with RH thread. No issues since

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scott,

I have a little different view of the problems you're facing with the brakes. I'm SO thankful that you are working on it in your back yard under a tree. You have access to plenty of tools, food, water, and your air conditioned house. You can take a break when you get overheated. You aren't stranded on the side of the Interstate in the middle of nowhere with a 20 mile walk to the next exit. You didn't have a wheel cylinder lock up on you or a tire blow out on you at 50 MPH. You didn't have to experience the terrifying feeling of watching your life flash before your eyes, wondering if the cab of your truck was going to be your coffin (I went through that last year southbound on the FL Turnpike in my M1009 - NOT FUN AT ALL :-( ). You aren't stuck with a $500 towing bill just to get the thing off of the highway. You aren't scrambling to find someone to work on your truck in a tiny town where no one has ever heard the words 'Deuce and a Half'. You aren't wondering how in the heck you are going to transport your disabled truck 300 miles south without taking a second mortgage out on your house. Do you see where I'm going with this? Count your blessings, brother. NEVER GIVE UP. It's only a truck. Don't let the d@mn thing get the best of you! YOU WILL WIN! Every problem you run into leads to a solution. Every solution leads to a lesson. Every lesson leads to another piece of knowledge that you can use to come up with more solutions.

FWIW, I wish I didn't have every hour of every day accounted for in my life. I'd love to come up and help you turn some wrenches and pick your brain. You're very gifted and I know I could learn a lot from you.
[thumbzup] :beer:

Last edited:

Katahdin

QUADJEEPER had already rebuilt all of his brake cylinders less than a year ago....see post #7...seems to me he went looking for trouble and the M109 slapped him. ;-)