• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

suspension lift for m35 2 1/2

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Diverting from the suspension to a hinge for the frame of the M105 bed, so I can add lift later to make it dump. Frame will bolt down to begin with. I'll be welding the tabs to the back cross member too.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shane 1971 M35A2

Thank you all for the responses on some ideas on how to lift a 6x6 M35A2. I have contacted Black Rock Fab. and they can make the 8 inch front leaf spring brackets to handle the front part (they can make 8 inch brackets for the rear if it was going to be bobbed like Hank's Deuce which is an amazing build and very impressive looking truck). For the rear, I like the idea of using 2 (one for each side of frame) 8 inch high pieces of 3/8 or 1/2 inch thick square tubing with the ends capped off for strength, welded to the frame where the tandems are originally located, and then the whole tandem assembly bolted below that. I know the drive shafts from the transfer case to the front axle and closest rear axle might need to be lengthened, and some sort of drop pitman arm to correct steering angle. I was thinking 395's were 46 inches tall, or that 46 in. tires were the size that just barely fit on the rear tandems without rubbing together..but anyway, whatever the size tire is that will just barely fit on a deuce and 1/2 without rubbing would look good and proportional in my opinion with 8 inches of suspension lift. I like to think of it as having "5- ton attitude with Deuce and a half practicality" Anyway, thanks for helpful comments and advice.
Shane

HN6

Thank you all for the responses on some ideas on how to lift a 6x6 M35A2. I have contacted Black Rock Fab. and they can make the 8 inch front leaf spring brackets to handle the front part (they can make 8 inch brackets for the rear if it was going to be bobbed like Hank's Deuce which is an amazing build and very impressive looking truck). For the rear, I like the idea of using 2 (one for each side of frame) 8 inch high pieces of 3/8 or 1/2 inch thick square tubing with the ends capped off for strength, welded to the frame where the tandems are originally located, and then the whole tandem assembly bolted below that. I know the drive shafts from the transfer case to the front axle and closest rear axle might need to be lengthened, and some sort of drop pitman arm to correct steering angle. I was thinking 395's were 46 inches tall, or that 46 in. tires were the size that just barely fit on the rear tandems without rubbing together..but anyway, whatever the size tire is that will just barely fit on a deuce and 1/2 without rubbing would look good and proportional in my opinion with 8 inches of suspension lift. I like to think of it as having "5- ton attitude with Deuce and a half practicality" Anyway, thanks for helpful comments and advice.
Shane
Did you every finish the project? If so post some pics. and feedback. Been researching the same. I think the 395' will rub bad while I'm in and out of the back country and rivers. Coming up with my plan or just drop down to 12r20s and add lockers for full 6x6 capability.

Shane 1971 M35A2

Did you every finish the project? If so post some pics. and feedback. Been researching the same. I think the 395' will rub bad while I'm in and out of the back country and rivers. Coming up with my plan or just drop down to 12r20s and add lockers for full 6x6 capability.
No, it is still just an idea in my head, but I would really like to have one lifted 8 in. with all 3 axles intact. A person sent me a message and pictures with a video telling, and showing how they did theirs the same way though. They shortened the frame and the bed about 3 ft., and then double stacked that portion they removed to the frame and effectively dropped down the tandem rears the thickness of the stacked portion. Their truck looks tough!

HN6

No, it is still just an idea in my head, but I would really like to have one lifted 8 in. with all 3 axles intact. A person sent me a message and pictures with a video telling, and showing how they did theirs the same way though. They shortened the frame and the bed about 3 ft., and then double stacked that portion they removed to the frame and effectively dropped down the tandem rears the thickness of the stacked portion. Their truck looks tough!
I might cut the bed and weld box back in like a pickup where the tires cold rub. I'll be starting in a week or so.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks