• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SUV Deuce?

Heath_h49008

I did some searches and didn't find much... some camper stuff... so I think this might be new.

I keep looking at bobbed trucks... most are nice, but not really my thing. I found this picture a very long time ago. I am certain it must have originated here, but I can't find the thread it called home.

I'm kinda surprised nobody has built one yet... I know this isn't a Deuce in the pic, but you get the idea.

Attachments

Heath_h49008

It really wouldn't be that hard... That pic, for example... all flat panels... some 1x2 steel tube as structure... 14ga sheet bolted or welded to the skeleton... flat glass. The roof is only complicated if you make it some kind of convertible.

I think it's doable... just fat chewing here... I have no way to tackle this project personally. But I could easily draw up plans for one if someone wanted to do it.

madmanvillain

Ive chewed fat in my head about a 4 door bobbed deuce with a slant back kinda like the humvees. two cabs back to back, keep the windshield and wipers take out the dash rear doors would be suicide doors, keep the front fenders and locate the rear wheels there. some sort of slant or small bed to replace the engine bay of the second cab. One would need two nearly complete deuces. ****, go 4 wheel steer while your at it :D

Danger Ranger

Hate ot burst your bubble, or look like a bad guy here, but that isn't new, it has been seen on some threads, that unfortunately I can't remember the names to right now....go figure. I know the search sucks, but its out there somewhere. Neat idea, I agree.

Heath_h49008

Hate ot burst your bubble, or look like a bad guy here, but that isn't new, it has been seen on some threads, that unfortunately I can't remember the names to right now....go figure. I know the search sucks, but its out there somewhere. Neat idea, I agree.
Yea...no worries... no bubble. I said I found this and thought it came from someone here, but couldn't find it when I searched.

Anyway, the roof and walls might be a bit better with a couple modifications. I have to think someone has built one... THAT is what I want to see!

Jtspendy

Well you could always use diamond plate steel to fab it. Would give structural strength and resistance to handgun
cartridges as well.

Heath_h49008

Looks cool, but I think the amount of frame flex and twist these things are capable of would rip the body apart.

So, isolate it. I was thinking something like a flex joint at the back of the stock cab with some gap seals. Heck, seeing as how this is just bench racing, take that "MRAP" the movie guy built as the base... his walls sucked, his tire mount was non-functional, but it had a good joint, and the basic structure worked.

We don't have to worry about actually taking RPG7 hits... so we can keep the structure light, lower than the big 109 vans, and any shape we want.

If I'm thinking right, we could even make it reversible.. or at least with very limited modifications required to the truck cab itself.

You're right though, the flex/flex joint will be the issue. Especially when/if the cab roof is tied in.

area52

Well, since the M35A2 "flatfender" look is really similar to the old Willys trucks and wagon, I had always thought about making a 2.5 ton Willys pickup. Why not go along the same lines - 2.5 ton Willys wagon?

Not just the axles under the Willys wagon, but all over larger using a bobbed deuce wihout a bed. Take the design from the wagon and just "oversize it with sheet metal and tubing for a "body frame"

A

A/C Cages

Run a subframe mounted to the front and then rest it on airbags in the rear. The flex factor wont be a problem then. Just like streched limos and Prevost busses.
As for towing, mount those to the orignal part of the lower frame.
Chain link the upper frame to the lower frame on both sides of the airbags to keep them from seperating in case of an accident or rollover. You can even double pipe sleeve on the inside acting like a vertical guideline to keep the frames straight.

Heath_h49008

Good ideas!

And just like those van chassis buses, put a separate side door in the newly constructed cab area... no need to screw with extra cab/doors like extended cab trucks do. One on the side and a back loading door like an aircraft with steps inside that could flip down... That door would be heavy as all heck though, so some kind of counter balance would be mandatory. Spring loaded cable?

I wonder if we could make the whole thing out of a junk bed off of a bobber project?

BigHank

I had thought about building a crew cab with a cut down 109 van back and tied together. of course day dreaming and building are 2 very different things

plym49

It really wouldn't be that hard... That pic, for example... all flat panels... some 1x2 steel tube as structure... 14ga sheet bolted or welded to the skeleton... flat glass. The roof is only complicated if you make it some kind of convertible.

I think it's doable... just fat chewing here... I have no way to tackle this project personally. But I could easily draw up plans for one if someone wanted to do it.
Do it. Draw the plans. In both single and dual axle versions.

You owe it to this forum, this country, nay, to humanity itself!

Heath_h49008

I'm flirting with some drawings for a metal topper for the bed that can connect to the cab and look "right." Integrate a ladder and a spare tire carrier that can hold a 395 and rim in a position that can actually be accessed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks