• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swapping cabs

fpchief

I am about to embark on a cab swap. I understand that it can be pulled by two able bodies in a day. Does anyone have any tips and tricks on it?

tommys2patrick

I don't have any experience in this matter, but it may help your quest to describe what vehicle / cab your swapping and what condition it is currently in. As in, cab stripped of interior / gauges / electrical / roof(if any), etc etc. more details the better.

fpchief

Well, my cab has rust in front corners and the rockers. Both cabs are fully outfitted..both are 71 M35a2 ' s. Looking for tips on maybe good to do's while it is off. Seems mostly straight forward.

tommys2patrick

You have probably already thought of most of what I would do. Clean, Strip, paint areas not easily accessed while the cab is off. Assuming those areas would need it of course. If the trans, transfer, brake MC etc need serviced now would be a good time with the old cab off. Check condition of u joints, flanges, hoses. Also, prep on the replacement cab -all those hard to get to places that might need a little paint etc. check the cables to speedo, gauges and air lines under the dash. Also things might get damaged while removing the old cab so recheck before putting the new cab on.

You have probably already thought of these things, so my only other suggestion is to take pictures for others like myself to learn from please.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The thing that is most frustrating....or can be, is the captured nuts holding the fenders to the cab. If these come off easily than it's smooth sailing. It might could be done in a day if the new cab is all ready to go but I would alot additional time as things have a way of happening.

fpchief

Not wanting to do complete swap in a day, just get cab off. Want to get it off and then take some time getting to know parts of it I've never seen.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the cab will not be reused, you can simply cut off the fender bolt if the captured nuts spin. Yeah, can come off in a day. Is there a bed on the truck? If so, you will need to unbolt steering gear so it can rotate up. If the bed is off you can simply slide it back. You can't simply unbolt tje column from the gear box.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
To have been built by the lowest bidder these trucks are notoriously hard to reverse engineer. auaaua

I have parted out a bunch of deuces and one five ton.

Be prepared to adapt and overcome and have a "blue flame speed wrench" on hot standby.:burn:

If you have a "Soldier B" working with you it should be a one or two day ordeal.