• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swapping engine from different vehicles

NormB

Specifically, installing a 6.2L NA from a 1985 M1009 into a 1992 M1038 HMMWV.

Anything I need to know about whether this engine will match the fittings/transmission (TH400/3L80) in mine? Bolt-ups/frame mount locations, oil hoses, etc?

I admit I don't know much about these things, but it would SEEM to me the basic block shouldn't have changed much which is exactly why I think it COULD.

Looking into picking up a "spare" as insurance.

Thanks in advance.

Norm

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A quick Google check says that they should both be 6.2l's, so shouldn't be too hard. I have seen multiple references that say stepping up from the 6.2L to the 6.5L involves having to get a new wiring harness (several hundred $, apparently).

Doesn't mean I'm not thinking about it myself, since the recyclers have been letting 6.5's w/ trans go cheap these days out in places like Wilmington.

Bulldogger

NormB

Reason I ask, like I said, is it SEEMS like it would work.

I've also read several posts about swapping engines - I know about the wiring harness bit.

I'll stay with the 6.2L for that and other reasons, mostly because the price is right for the one I'm looking at and I can take some time with it to check/replace seals/water jacket plugs/gaskets before I DO use it (if I ever need to).

Wire Fox

In terms of bolt patterns and it having the right form, fit, and function, they should be cross compatible. Great evidence for this is the fact that when replacing a no-longer-produced 6.2L engine, the Army orders a new 6.5L GEP engine, but has it shipped with a de-tuned injection pump that's meant to match the power output of the original 6.2L engine. Some things will be different on the individual components that are on each engine, but the major assemblies are interchangeable and you can certainly swap a whole engine and be able to bolt on everything driven by the drive belts, the transmission, and all of the wiring. The 6.5L wiring harness should only come into play when you actually have a "true" 6.5L setup, meaning you have various extra sensors installed on the engine to support a 4L80E transmission and you have the matching A2 body harness that it can couple with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks