• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swapping in a rear Dana 70 or Corporate 14

nhdiesel

Too bad you are all the way down in Texas, I have several 14FFs here with various gears. The one I have with 3.73 would be great for you. By the time you paid shipping you could buy a matching set there. Look around, they are extremely common.

Jim

niferous

You'd be surprised. My company gets deep discounts with motor freight carriers. PM me if you have one with 3:73 gears you want to sell and your zip code. I'll check to see how much to ship and you never know I may buy it!!

Look in your want ads and any classified ads like "Buy/Sell Bulletin" or "The Swapper" are what we have in Alabama. You'll almost surely be able to find an old chevy K20 with the set up that is a perfect swap for your M1009. I found a 1978 K20 with no engine or transmission and missing doors with a whole bunch of rust for $175. I towed it home on my trailer, took the axles annd springs out, scrapped the rest, and ended up paying about $100 for everything I needed for my now-true 3/4-ton M1009. It even had 3:73 gears, which are perfect for the 36" tires I am running with the TH400 trans.
Incidently, it might help you to know in late 1977 is when GM began manufacturing their own, hence corporate-design, axles. So if you get 1978 or later, you will have a thicker axle tube in the front end.

Larch

$80 must be the minimum bid on Clist....

btw, my new to me, 1990 Dodge tug has a Dana 70, Detroit locker and 7.17:1 ring and pinion. I'm told I can re gear this thing to a 4.10:1. Does anyone have a set of 4.10 gears for this axle that I can buy cheap? I am considering "un bobbing" the tug into a daily driver.

I suppose without an overdrive transmission, my best choice would be to just use a different axle with about 2.70-3.08 gears. Just thinking outloud here.

Hey Doghead, do you have a TM on the tugs? Do they exist? Thanks

TRG87K5

I have been wanting to change out my axles for a while now and I would appreciate some input regarding my choices. Mainly I want the better gearing of a 4:10 or 3:73 and I would like to have the 8-lug 16" wheels so that they match my Suburban and my I've been wanting an M101A2 trailer for a while and I'd like to be able to swap tires between the three as needed.

I've got a local lead on two different rear axles that I'm thinking about swapping into the rear my M1009. One is a Corporate 14 out of a mid 80's farm truck and one is a Dana 70 that a guy already modified to fit into a 1978 Blazer. The one guy with the Corporate 14 only wants $150 and it's complete with brakes and even has some tires with steel rims on it. So which do you guys think is the better choice? Right now I'm waiting for the guy to call me back on the Dana 70 so he may throw out a price that is way out of the ballpark. I'll update the thread when he gets back to me. But strictly from a mechanical stand point which do you think would be better?

Now on the front I was thinking of either doing a Dana 44 or I read on another thread on here that I can just convert my front 10 bolt to an 8-lug. Keep in mind that I'm not thrashing this truck or going out rock crawling. I just want a different gear ratio and the ability to swap tires around. I run 32" tires on the M1009 now and that's what I'm sticking with. So I really think that that factory front would do. The only reason I'm wanting a different rear axle is that that ones I've found for sale are usually about as expensive as the parts to re-gear my current axle. I'm also not afraid to spend some extra dough though on the front so I'm open to other suggestions there beyond just converting it to 8-lug and then re-gearing it to match the rear axle.

So what do you guys think?
on your front axle, you will just need to swap out the outer hubs to 8 lug outers, everything else is identical to the 3/4T front axle, the D-44 and Corp. 10 outers are identical, that will save you some $$ there, and the rear Corp. 14 B is a dime a dozen, cheap and stupid strong, downfall is the center chunk is massive !!! and with 32" tall tires, offroad you'll notice it's boat anchor characteristics, it's doable and the draw back to it is gear limitations, they only make gear sets up to 5.38's where as the D70 has better gearing options, but they are spendy. With 32" tires I wouldn't worry about upgrading from the 1/2T axles. Unless you plan on beating it up severely. My buddy rock crawls his jeep with a d-44 and 39.5" tires with a decent 350 and 3.8:1 t case (tons of torque from gearing) and has yet to snap an axle :driver:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks