• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swapping out overdrive for a larger gear

TexAndy

What's the biggest overdrive gear you could fit in the transmission?

I was just thinking of different ways to achieve a little greater top end speed without major, irreversible changes to the truck.

Second question: What kind of top speed increase do you think could be made with a larger overdrive gear?

Yes, I know 1100-20s will provide a larger diameter rolling area and give a greater top speed. If possible, I would like to do this AND maybe swap out 5th gear for a bigger overdrive if it provides enough additional top speed to be worth the cost/effort.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
it has already been done, sort of......... if my gear manufacturer would get a move on! promised date is end of april 2010, but there have been so many setbacks in the last 2 1/2 years i am not holding my breath.

TexAndy

Yeah, I saw another thread around here where you or another guy was talking about this but it didn't look like it had yet been done. I was curious about the results of such a mod.

RSOVRanger

Any new info about the OD gear replacement? I'm looking at getting an A2 and it'd be nice to do 60 comfortably (as in not costing me an engine eventually) with stock-ish tires.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
one company is making 5 sets, but has been doing this since the end of last november! i am placing a order with an entirely new company next week. they said max time 12 weeks, maybe less since i have the tooling.

to

RSOVRanger

Ok, no hurry from me... just read a couple different places on here that you were doing it... and of all the different options (Overdrive aux tranny, axle ratio change, mungo tires) just swapping 5th sounded like the best to me.

Oscarsbigredball

Ok, no hurry from me... just read a couple different places on here that you were doing it... and of all the different options (Overdrive aux tranny, axle ratio change, mungo tires) just swapping 5th sounded like the best to me.

Ive been planning on flipping the transfer case since i dont really need 6x6 that would be a .5 to 1 ratio then Plus stock 5th gear is ~.4 to1 ratio and i know you cant get that big of a over drive in the stock case( trust me ive searched high and low) and 2 hours of work is a lot cheaper than a new 5th gear

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ive been planning on flipping the transfer case since i dont really need 6x6 that would be a .5 to 1 ratio then Plus stock 5th gear is ~.4 to1 ratio and i know you cant get that big of a over drive in the stock case( trust me ive searched high and low) and 2 hours of work is a lot cheaper than a new 5th gear
JUST how FAST do yo WANT to GO ?????

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
yeah ron, good question! well we all know that it won't work, but 2000 rpm would be 91 mph just in case you wonder. i spend nearly 4 years and untold thousands of $$$ developing this and with the help of some good friends too and this ratio is all that the multifuel can handle. those who have it can attest it is really what brings this truck into the era of good roads and interstate highways.

tom

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Tom,
To bad someone has not come up with a stopping update kit (air), to go along with your kit, would be great for the deuce, just the thought of going 91 in a deuce gives me heart stress