• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swapping Parts Help

frontiersman

I am working with FMJ on buying one of his trucks, but i want it configured a little different than he bougt them. Ok, he has 3 really nice. clean M109 vans that are turbo deisal and run strong. He is getting 3 M35A2s with winches, hardtops, and turbos. What I want is an M35 with a winch, heater, hardtop, turnbo engine, and the shop van. Questions: Would it be simpler to put the winch on the shop truck, or to swap beds? What is the cost of a complete winch for an M35? We are just trying to get our ducks reigned in some before he gets the lateset M35s home. Any input will be appreciated.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have the lifting devices (crane, jacks etc), swapping beds would be easier IMHO.
Figure $500 to $1,000 for a complete winch with drive shaft, control linkages and pto....

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm with Cranetruck, I'd rather swap beds than do a winch install.

A winch install however, would only require an engine hoist for the heavy lifting.

Either one is completely possible, lots of people here have done both.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as time is concerned, the winch elswappo would be more time consuming. The bed swap only requires removal of 10 bolts and 2 harnesses. If you put the shop van body on the cargo, you will need to add a harness for the van. What you end up with is an M35A2 with a van body on the back and an M109A3 with a cargo bed. With all that said, I'd take the time to swap the winch so that I could keep my M109A3 looking like an M109A3. As Clinto pointed out, no heavy lifting stuff required for a winch swap. If time were a crushing issue, I would swap over all the winch stuff on the front and install the PTO shaft and shifter at my leisure when I got home. Then again, I'm kind of anal when it comes to matching numbers and body configurations. Hardtop swap, piece of cake. Heater install, PITA.

ida34

But your not anal on having a yellow truck? I agree with Kenny. Keep the bed with the proper truck and just swap out the winches. Not as easy but keeping the trucks right is always nice.

citizensoldier

Swap the beds.. IMHO.. On my M109 the only difference in the wiring is a power lead that goes from the battery box to a outside breaker on the 109 body. You could make one in about 20 minutes. The winch is a pain in the butt to swap. Draining oil, shiming the PTO, extention bolts, linkage, bla, bla, Rent a crane or 10,000 lb Sky track and lift it up back the other truck under it. 10 bolts and your done. I think a van body weighs 4K..
Take pictures!..

frontiersman

Thanks all for the input. I am not a anal purist (no offense), and what I am am going to do with the truck is make an ultimate camper, so matching numbers doesnt matter. After FMJ gets his other trucks home, we will decide what to do. Meanwhile I am still in planning to get my M1028 home LOL!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But your not anal on having a yellow truck?
Funny Chuck! I'll get to it eventually! I can assure you the numbers match and the data plate is original.