• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swapping wheels to fit on a U-Haul trailer?

claptonisgod

I have a 1994 M998A1 which I’ll need to transport at some point between locations, preferably without registering it or hiring a transporter. I’ve thought about buying a car trailer with a wide enough deck, but that’s down the road. I do have a set of wheels that came off my 2004 Silverado 2500HD when I replaced the steelies with alloys. I believe both the HMMWV and my 3/4 ton are 8x6.5 bolt pattern. And, I know the Silverado wheels are smaller and thinner than the beasts on my HMMWV.

Can anyone confirm from experience that if I swap on the Silverado wheels, it’ll fit on a standard U-Haul auto transporter? Hoping I’m on to something here, and don’t want to rent the trailer and do the work of swapping the wheels to then find out I’m wrong.

claptonisgod

Wild, every past post claimed it was impossible to fit it on the standard U-Haul trailer and your only chance was if you got the older style red (?) one. Thanks for the photo, maybe I'll bring the wheels and a jack along just in case and try it on the original wheels. What did you do about the front straps, since I'm sure the built-in U-Haul ratchets don't go around? Looks like you have a bit of a creative solution, but I can't fully decipher it from the angle.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will have to lie to them when renting the trailer, as the H1/HMMWV is larger than the trailer is rated for.
And because you lied to them to rent it, if anything happens then their rental insurance won't cover anything, and you're out all associated costs due to breaching the contract.

Just want to make sure that you are aware of what you are getting into.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you get one of the pictured silver trailers not the older orange ones. As stated, you are towing a Jeep CJ5 as their database will not accept Hummer H1.

In most states including La, the towing vehicle's policy covers the trailer. Check your policy particulars and YMMV.

springer1981

Almost any set of wheels will have an offset that puts the outside edge of the tires wider than the stock wheels.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Make sure you get one of the pictured silver trailers not the older orange ones. As stated, you are towing a Jeep CJ5 as their database will not accept Hummer H1.

In most states including La, the towing vehicle's policy covers the trailer. Check your policy particulars and YMMV.
Not sure about your state, but here in NC the towing vehicle does have the trailer "covered" on the insurance policy.

@Coug and @Action are both right about the U-Haul policy if something goes wrong. AND just know that if something happens - Lawyers will be lined up to do their best to take everything you own because you overloaded the trailer. Possibly because you lied on the rental application as well and the U-Haul folks won't be helping in defense of your mistake even if it isn't your fault.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks