• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sway bar help needed

SimonG

aua So Im trying to replace my sway bar bushings, had to go buy an electric impact driver but I still CANT get the passenger side bolt loose, I mean it doesnt budge! Impact, breaker/cheater bar, large hammer, etc...

Iv got the other bolts off but cant go any further. Does anyone have any hints/tips/tricks how to get this thing un-rustwelded?

chevyCUCV

PB blaster is the best. Just very pricey

Soak the bolt everywhere and let it sit.
Repeat in an hour
Try the bolt again
Remember time is your friend keep soaking it if it wont budge

Terracoma

Those large bolts on the sway bar should be torqued to 320-lb/ft, which makes them a bear to remove even when not rusty.

If you can get ahold of a pneumatic impact gun, that would be best. Meanwhile, spray it down with a lot of penetrating oil, and try applying heat.

SimonG

Thanks for the info, Im soaking it with PB blaster now, tried the electric impact but dont have easy access to a pnuematic impact/compressor.
Looks like its goign to be flex bar and pipe :D

hotdogs151a2

Mr. SimonG:
The PB Blaster is very good. I have used break fluid before but you have to be careful of paint. I know this is going to sound crazy, but try to tighten the bolt some. I have had good luck with that trick before. Maybe you will break it off.
Good luck!
Thanks, Hotdog

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the absence of a big honkin impact, Kroil works well. Its designed to creep in the threads. MY spray of choice though is GM Heatvalve Lube. Designed for heatrisers, its just the best with rusty stuff. We call in the "Spray from God"

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm with kenny. I've had the best luck with kroil. Try hitting the head of the bolt with a good heavy hammer.
Strike it tward the treads. As if trying to drive the bolt into the hole. This will help break the bonds
between the threads. Hopefully. Good luck.