• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swimming CUCV? Saving waterlogged transmissions

Milbikes

Reading about a CUCV that went swimming.... I know a guy that buys flood damaged cars at auction. Modern ones... He tests the computers with a battery pack that he has in his back pack that he connects to the car battery terminals. If the gauges on the dash display correctly, he is happy and bids.

His trick for fixing the transmissions is to remove the torque converter and drill a small hole in the body to drain all fluid AND the water that has gotten inside it. He says it is the only way to get the water out of the torque converter. He also drains/flushes the engine, transmission, differentials etc. He exports them overseas to Europe, and has no problems with them after his process.

DokWatson

The only way to fix a transmission that had water in it, is to rebuild it. I can see why he exports them. Its only a matter of WHEN they fail, not an IF. Water dissolves the glue that holds friction plates together, doesn't even need to be running for it to do the damage.

KsM715

:ditto:Theres a reason he sells them overseas. Whos gonna spend the money to try and come after him when something goes out on it.

ryan77

He most likely sells them over sea's is because here it would be a salvage or flood title which means the car is worth 30% of regular blue book. Oversees they can cook the title and make it clear!!!!!

Milbikes

Transmissions get rebuilt if needed, but he doesn't have to replace the torque converter, which I hear is the expensive part. After it is drained and flushed, the drilled hole is welded shut. My neighbor has been driving a flood recovery Volkswagen Jetta wagon for several years now with no problems, and he has put about 100K on it. This exporter guy has a shop in Europe where he sells the cars, and he does stand behind them.

I guess the bottom line is how long and how deep the vehicle was in water, and how well it is gone through afterward.