• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

switch to soft top

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if the 'options' varied from manufacturer to manufacturer? Oh well, drilling a few holes is pretty darned easy:cool:

Robo McDuff: If you need some measurements just let me know - the Deuce is right out front and easily accessible.

James
Yes please, would be good to have. Thanks

MacGowan

More showing from driver's side to passenger's and the distance between each 'bow':

The other pics are to give you a rough idea of the angle at which the bows are installed from rear to front.

...the rear of the frame where the bows install should be pre-drilled, so the only measurements you should need are the front measurements.

Attachments

Last edited:

MacGowan

Just to let you know: if you order the soft top new from a surplus dealer you'll get it with white talcum powder and glue visible on the seams on top. Not a big deal, but it'll look pretty ugly for a while... until the talcum comes off with the rain. I plan to re-seal when the glue eventually comes off, as it's meant to water-proof the top. I believe the talcum is applied as a means to prevent the top from sticking together while in packaging.

Hope these photos help, brother.

James

Attachments

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great pics, thanks. What are those bows made off, just bent metal tubes?

My new canvas soft-top was just folded and packed in plastic, no talcum in sight. Looked like the real military NOS

MacGowan

The bows are made of, what seems to be, cold rolled steel. They are bent to support the top... hmmmm... I should just take some photos of the bows in the morning. Should be pretty easy to fabricate if you have all the measurements and some very basic metal working equipment.

How did you manage to get a new soft top without the talc? The box mine was shipped in was NOS - correct part #, etc... It's not actual canvas, rather it's vinyl.

I'll take those pics in the morning when I get a chance. Don't forget to post pics of your work and your truck!!! :driver:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking over the website listed in your signature - - AWESOME PROJECT!!! I'd give my left one to be over there to lend a hand!!

James
Thanks for the offer; working with your left still on would be more helpful through ;) ;)

As to a metal shop with stuff, I think that once the truck is in the Czech Republic, I have all I need, actually out-sizing and out-aging the truck needs and seniority. My stepson is a blacksmith working with old and big stuff (I need to update his website). His workshop in the woods actually has a professional lath, every welding equipment type existing, power presses, power hammers, forges, sand-blasting and spray-painting stuff, a 50-ton repairing ramp and even a traveling winch (trolley, traveling crab, whatever the correct name) strong enough to raise and move the entire truck and then some.

Just take a holiday and join the fun here in the Czech Republic (That is where the real restoration will take place).

As to the soft top, it really is the old-type dark green canvas soft top in an open plastic envelope. Did not put it on yet because I did not want to get it dirty while repairing the truck. Did took it out of the plastic though and folded it open. No talc to be seen

If you want to see some impressive forging work, have a look at this gate my son made.

MacGowan

That is some AMAZING work!! ... and access to all those tools -> :drool: I need a bigger shop and more MONEY!

The following are the pics I promised:

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROJECT!! I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING THE COMPLETED VERSION!!!

James

Attachments

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine costs around $210 (blame a bad exchange rate, it is 150 Eur). Shipping would be possible, but I am afraid they only have green, not tan. Although green is original for my truck, I would not mind having a tan soft top and cover. It certainly looks very fitting on your truck.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have to put any special stuff on a new canvas top to ,make it water tight, or something on the lines that slip into the frame to better preserve them?