• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Switching to Budd wheels ???

Prankster

"IF" I switch over to 10 Lug Budd Wheels will the Deuce be able to carry more weight.

I can only guess, that with the new hubs come the new brakes.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
all ready have budd rims (wheels) as stock on a deuce, NO on the weight, (answer to post)
can run adaptor plates from 6 to 10 lug, (answer to edit)

Last edited:

jatonka

They are Budd wheels and they are heavier than the civilian counter parts . The 10 wheels will carry more than the truck can, from experience. Have carried 13 tons of crusher run on old smokey, not proud of it, but it happened and I drove it almost 20 miles ,no broken wheels. JT out

Attachments

KsM715

I meant , change Deuce hubs over to five ton hubs. Anything can be done, but is it worth it?
I dont think its just that simple. Do you know all whats involved in swapping all that over?

Edit: my response above is not to Vintage iron. It is for Prankster. I dont belive you can just swap hubs to allow use of 10 lug wheels.

Last edited:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the case of adapting to 10 lug hubs and wheels on the deuce axles, the limiting factor is the axles. The axle tubes are much smaller on the deuce than on the 5 ton. This also makes the point that the inside diameter of the cone bearing races used on the five ton axles are considerably larger than the deuce. The adaptation of the deuce axle tube ends to fit the 5 ton hubs/bearings would be very hard without just cutting them off and welding 5 ton axle tube ends on the deuce axle tubes. After all of that is done, you now have the problem of the different size of the flanged axle ends that bolt to the hubs. You would have to have your deuce axles cut and the 5 ton ends welded on to bolt to the 5 ton hub pattern. In short, but respectfully said, A VERY BAD IDEA! No load carrying capacity gained for all of the engineering and hard work. As suggested, buy a five ton. The deuce six lug pattern is not the limiting factor here.
Regards Marti

Prankster

Okay, bad ideal.

I have to move about 100 cement Lego blocks about 10 miles.
They measure 2'X2'X4" & 2'X2'X8' Weight: 2000 Lb. & 4000 Lb.

Since April 1St. I have tried to hire a rig to haul them for me.
Every person willing to do the job wants $100 an Hr.
However, they never show up, and they never call.

So, I figured a Deuce could handle the job!
I was quite certain that my Pickup Truck was not up to the task.

In retrospect, it seems The Deuce could pull a trailer that could haul the weight better than anything I have come up with.

You see, there is this hill, and it is almost a 70' climb.
I'm using the cement blocks as a foundation wall for my house.

Did I forget to say the 4'ers cost $25, and the 8'ers cost $50?

Around here a sheet of 1" plywood cost $50.oo

Last edited:

olewhiskey

If you could pull a trailer everyone around here flat tows their deuces with another deuce. Thats 14000lbs. Buy a deuce, stack up the bed, use it until you don't need a heavy truck/hauler and sell it. If you can make yourself part with it.

Prankster

So,.. tell me,.. How many blocks of concrete weighing 4000 Lbs each can I safely haul with a Deuce before I brake the Camel's back???? ...Including being able to brake safely. ??? !!!

I have an old worn out Chevy C30 Pickup truck with a lame engine, and I still tow things three times my weight, and size. It takes me three times longer to get up to speed but I have no trouble stopping, and the tow load dose not hop me around corners on a turn.

If my trailer can support 45,000 Lbs. AND it has its own working brakes; are you telling me that a Deuce cannot tow it with a pintle hitch?

I plan to be hauling 40,000 Lbs on a trip so it only takes me 10 trips.

If you could pull a trailer everyone around here flat tows their deuces with another deuce. Thats 14000lbs. Buy a deuce, stack up the bed, use it until you don't need a heavy truck/hauler and sell it. If you can make yourself part with it.

Josh

45k behind is a deuce is def pushing it. I've had 15k in the truck with 15k in tow, wouldn't want to go much higher then that. We rolled over a scale weighing about 45k in total and it was a slow ride. Truck stopped well because it triaxle trailer with air brakes. If I was ya get a 5ton or plan for 20+ trips.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So,.. tell me,.. How many blocks of concrete weighing 4000 Lbs each can I safely haul with a Deuce before I brake the Camel's back???? ...Including being able to brake safely. ??? !!!

I have an old worn out Chevy C30 Pickup truck with a lame engine, and I still tow things three times my weight, and size. It takes me three times longer to get up to speed but I have no trouble stopping, and the tow load dose not hop me around corners on a turn.

If my trailer can support 45,000 Lbs. AND it has its own working brakes; are you telling me that a Deuce cannot tow it with a pintle hitch?

I plan to be hauling 40,000 Lbs on a trip so it only takes me 10 trips.
I show 10,000 lbs in cargo or 10,000 towed (both on the road), per the data plate. Now people flat tow a Deuce so that is 13,500 lbs. I think asking it to tow 40,000 lbs to be pushing it, but I have no first hand experience dealing with that kind of weight.

Why not make more trips since it is only 10 miles, and not sweat bullets wondering if you are going to break down, or worse yet, get yourself or someone on the road hurt.

Attachments

Prankster

The Last Row To Hoe

Thanks Josh!

I figure to start out with 3 blocks: see how it goes, and then up the weight by one more ton each trip until it gets scary: then back off that last ton so I feel safe.

It is only a 10 mile trip, and I do have "AAA." The Deuce is tagged as a Farm Truck. I am at the point of use what you got! I really need to get the farm house finished so I can move in.

45k behind is a deuce is def pushing it. I've had 15k in the truck with 15k in tow, wouldn't want to go much higher then that. We rolled over a scale weighing about 45k in total and it was a slow ride. Truck stopped well because it triaxle trailer with air brakes. If I was ya get a 5ton or plan for 20+ trips.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Why don't you get a 818 and low bed or 871 trailer, more able to handle the weight, can carry more weight, and be safer all the way around.
Not talking about enough over weight to break the "CAMELS back"
1-have you ever driven a deuce ???/ see that you have, so question answered
2-Have you ever driven a fully loaded deuce ????
3-Have ever tried to stop a fully loaded deuce , let alone in an EMERGENCY ????
Just because EVERYBODY does it, does make it right or safe, don't think "EVERYBODY DOES IT" is going to fly with the family of the people hurt or killed.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks