• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swivel darn you! (M1009 Pintle)

Anubis8472

In the process of working on her I've soaked the pintle pretty well with various penetrating fluid/greases/oils etc. Realy any time I walk by with a can of some-such I stop and go to town on the pintle.

I've just come to accept that the top locking mechanism is just always going to be tight. Not that big a deal. I would rather it be thus as opposed to flopping loosly. My real issue has been trying to get it to swivel.

I've read that some CUCV's had pintles that did not swivel. As an '86 I would assume that mine 'should' be of the swivel variety.

Before I put a 4 foot bar through it and bend/break it, is there a way to tell for sure that it 'should' swivel?

It looks no different then those I see in various pics here on the site. It appears to have a 'seam' where it would swivel at. It is also slightly rotated (not centered like I would expect a non-swivel to be).
It may just be paint/corrosion, but I'm a pretty big guy and if I've learned one thing over the years it is to 'check' before I make a non-swiveling pintle into a broken 'well it swivels now' pintle.

CycleJay

Hello Anubis,

I have the same problem on my 1009 with my pintle.
I was told to remove the cotter pin on the back end of the pintle behind the bumper,
then loosen the big nut back there, then pump the pintle hitch full of grease.
There is one of those little grease gun connection points, on the bottom of the hitch,
at the back end of it behind the bumper.

I have not gotten to it yet, but plan on it soon.
That is what others here have told me to do,
to fix that problem.

Good luck.. Let me know how it works out..

Good day,

twlinks

Same issue with mine on the '85 M1009. Greased it and a LOT of PB Blaster. Haven't tried removing the cotter pin and backing the nut off a bit, but will try that now.

Anubis8472

Ha!
Just read your reply and thought 'There's a grease fitting!'

I jumped up, threw on my boots, and snapped off my laces ....

But on the upside ...

I do see the grease fitting, funny I never noticed it before, there's actually a hole in the bottom plate for access to it. Upon further inspection I tried to read the lettering stamped into the pintle plate and noticed that it's actually upside down (the 4-bolt mounting plate). So It's got to be a swivel.

I don't see any way I'm going to get a wrench on that nut as it sits, I'll have to remove the four mounting bolts and pull the pintle out to access that big nut.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are big enough to break the pintle, I WILL call you sir.................:shock:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are big enough to break the pintle, I WILL call you sir.................:shock:
No kidding!

If the threaded shaft protrudes through the mounting bracket and has the large nut on it, then it should swivel.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a 5' spud bar and 200# of mass. Worked but had to be worked back and forth quite a few times.

KsM715

:ditto: BFH, not a ballpeen hammer, but a BFH and try to drive that sucker thru the bumper. (dont miss) and inbetween hits spray with PB blaster or your penetrant (sp?) of choice. The vibration from the hammer will allow the PB blaster to work its way in much faster.

CycleJay

Hello,

The best way to do it is.
Crawl under the back end, so you can see the back end of the pintle.
Remove cotter pin..
Loosen nut..
Pump grease into grease fitting
Then keep trying to swivel it, until it moves.
Then tighten nut just enough to replace cotter pin.
Done.

That way you do not run the risk of causing any damage to any part of the pintle hitch.

Good day,