• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

swollen glow plug removal

jccomer9

So one of the wellman gp's I put in less than a month ago is swollen bad. Im working right now on replacing them with ac60g plugs, but cant get this one out. All but one were swollen but this one is being a pita. Ive read a few places that if all else fails, you can start the engine with the glow plug unscrewed and the pressure will push it out. Has anyone tried this? If so do you need to disconect the ip first or actually start the engine?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wellmans, swellmans.

While I personally know of people that try to start the engine to blowout a bad plug, I don't think a pencil sized projectile is a good idea.

They make a special removal tool (talked about many time here - $100) or what I have done is use a pair of visegrips, camp onto the plug and twist and pry at the same time. Sometimes it comes out and sometimes it breaks off.

If it breaks off, remove the injector and use a pair of hemostats to fishout the remains. (covered in the Tech Manual)

Last edited:

jccomer9

That's the thing im short on funds right now and dont have the tools required for removing the injector so im trying to avoid that. I tried vise grips and a couple other methods but with no luck.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just takes a couple of wrenches to take the injector out. One is a 3/4" for the fuel line and the one for the injector escapes me at the moment.

Needle nose pliers, a snikky magnet, etc. Even a vacuum cleaner can help get the tip out if needed.

jccomer9

Well I disconnected the ip and turned it over hoping to blow it out but no go. Looks like ill have to break it off. If I remove that injector will I need to bleed fuel system afterwards? If so how? Dont have my tm's with me atm...

dependable

I would not break it off on purpose. If you pull and twist, with the thread, they will almost always come out, it may take a half hour and it is not fun.

If you do break it off, take out the injector like Warthog said, and remove from pre ignition chamber with magnetic pickup wand or something.

If you crank it over and suck it down into the cylinder, you will have to take the head of to avoid damaging the piston or wrist pin.(How do I know this?)

Anyway, the extraction tool from www.jjandaracing.com (for about $100) does work well.

If you remove just one injector I do not think you will have to bleed it, but that's not difficult even if you do.

cpf240

DH has mentioned before that he has put vise grips on the bad plug, and had someone start the truck to blow it out. Holding it with the vise grips *should* keep it from becoming a projectile. I have never tried this, so cannot say any more than that.

GPrez

The J&J racing tool does make short work of this problem. There is another tool by OTJ that uses a split nut that is a little less expensive. I think you can find it on eBay.

jgb680

When I changed mine, I think 6 of the eight were swollen. Using vise grips clamped really tight on the plug and working them back and forth worked really well. Just takes some time...

sandcobra164

I used the OTC tool for glowplug removal. My worst was the two on the passenger side rear, I had to get the battery out of the way before I could get good access. I also went with wellman for the replacement and I neglected doing the resistor bypass. Guess where I was within a few starts. Back to square one. I took the resistor off the firewall, drilled out the connector and connected it to the 12V supply going to the front battery. I put in 8 60G's after fighting to get the swollen wellmans out and I have had no trouble in 2 years. You may be short on funds and that's fine. I've been there. If you're going to use either as some have suggested, disconnect the wire from the resistor pack behind the air filter. Being specific, the lead on the Passenger side where it ties into the battery system on the white insulator block that has a cover held on by 2 held in place knobs.

I suggest you take the route I did and do the DH resistor bypass. Search, it's actually at the top of the CUCV forum and there are easy to follow pictures there as well.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I used the vice grip and prybar method on mine. Slow, but it works and no extra expense.

Barrman

I had a swollen one a few months ago on an engine still in the can. I ran the engine for 30 seconds or so, unscrewed the swollen plug until I could turn and wiggle it. Fired the engine up and let it run for 30 seconds or so revving it up and it didn't come out.

I used vice grips with a slide hammer that had a hook on the end to get it out.

I pulled 3 swollen ones last week with just a vice grip and lots of patience on a different engine. I had to use the hook ended slide hammer on a 4th.

Keep trying is my advice.

5moker

7 of mine Swollen! Got two out today. Trying to get them with vice grips, vice grips and pry bar, then a slide hammmer, with no positive results. Once they break a 3/4 wrench and deep 30mm socket pulls the injectors right out. First broken one jumped on the magnet so I figured this will be a breeze (whoops). Second one seems lodged in the cup. Third took a lot of time to get out. I stopped at the firewall! If you use a magnet you kinda got to use it like a pry bar laying it on the side of the injector hole and push the handle toward the block to keep it from smacking the injector threads (if you get it out and the magnet pulls into the threads it will fall back in the cup-GRRRR). I will be eliminating the resistor for sure and using the recommended ac delco 60g plugs. Mine were ac 13g I believe. I'm going to finish drivers side first. I see a battery tray removal in my near future.

K9Vic

Time to post my video for how to remove a swollen GP. I had checked the GP on a M1009 I am working on three weeks ago and they all came out just fine. Put them back in and the person that own the truck asked me to just go ahead and change them out last weekend. Well one of them got swollen and had to use my JJ and A Racing GP tool. Yes they were Wellman plugs and only a few starts one of them was swollen enough to have to use the special tool.

Video also goes over removing the injector to get a broken on out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arwBXG6wZsg

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Time to pimp my video for how to remove a swollen GP.

Nice video, but when did it become okay to be a pimp? Oh, just because it's popular now it's okay? Do you have any idea how vile pimps really are? What kind of sub-human trash they are? What kind of suffering they cause?

There's nothing cool or even acceptable about being a pimp.

Think about what you are saying.

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice video, certainly helps folks to see what others are trying to describe in print.
Thought for a moment I was watching a 70's "B" movie with that music.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks