• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Synchromesh manual trans fluid

odnorth

l was reading the back of this Pennzoil jug l have for for my cars:
It provides excellent oxidation stability, low temp performance, excellent synchronizer performance and compatibility with yellow metals, such as bronze, brass and copper components found in manual transaxles and transmissions, there is more on the web site but looks like good stuff for the deuce trans, what do you guys think.

bassetdeuce

I do know that it is recommended for the manual in my Jeep TJ, and Dodge pickups. It lists the Chrysler spec on the bottle. For the deuce, I just throw in NAPA 90wt GL1 that I get by the pail. Can you get that Pennzoil stuff by the 5 gal bucket?

Sephirothq

the synchromesh is expensive. it is meant to transmissions that are designed for it. I wouldn't spend the extra $$$$ for something that won't do any extra good. How long has the military ran the basic stuff??? it works for them

Wolf.Dose

To me it is unknown that someone ever made a 50W engine oil. I'm over 25 years in the car and truck bussiness.
So it might be a misreading or worn out printing of 90W which makes absolutely sence without checking the manuales in detail.
Anyway, depending of the year of manufacture of yout trans, the brass of the syncronizing rings if of different quality.
To avoid problens, buiy a 90W GL3 or a 85W90 GL3. GL4 or GL5 qualities contain too much acid and will eat your syncronizer rings. The GL3 is also the limit for WWII transmissions beeing syncronized to avoid trans and transfer problems.
Wolf

JasonS

To me it is unknown that someone ever made a 50W engine oil. I'm over 25 years in the car and truck bussiness.
So it might be a misreading or worn out printing of 90W which makes absolutely sence without checking the manuales in detail.
Anyway, depending of the year of manufacture of yout trans, the brass of the syncronizing rings if of different quality.
To avoid problens, buiy a 90W GL3 or a 85W90 GL3. GL4 or GL5 qualities contain too much acid and will eat your syncronizer rings. The GL3 is also the limit for WWII transmissions beeing syncronized to avoid trans and transfer problems.
Wolf
50wt engine oil is indeed the correct lubricant for a spicer transmission of this vintage/ design. See the attached scan from my 50s Reo maintenance manual. The local truck shop has it on the shelf.

Wolf.Dose

50WT is NOT available in Europe! Thats why I do not know it. I checked up the suppliers.
According the reference lists it is the same viscosity as a 90W transmission oil. So my information is correct, even if with the "wrong" name.
Wolf
Dipl.-Ing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks