• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Synthetic lube efficiency report

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran across this test conducted on FMTV's for the Army. I searched around to see if someone has posted this before, didn't find it. Forgive me if it has been discussed before. It's nice to see some real numbers and not just speculation of synthetic oils vs what Army likes to run. To save you the read I'll post below the down and dirty summary.

Link to the test. https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA622985.pdf

And the summary

An evaluation of fuel consumption using three FMTVs showed the potential for significant improvement using advanced lubricants. For the engine and transmission, the baseline OE/HDO- 15/40 oil was replaced with a candidate Single Common Powertrain Lubricant (SCPL). The GO- 80/90 baseline for the axles was replaced with synthetic SAE 75W-90 oil selected by TARDEC. Over a two-speed highway cycle, an average improvement of 6.1% was observed. When operated on a cycle which included stationary idle and transients, the average fuel consumption improvement increased to 7.8%.

Seems like a less expensive way to increase milage over gear swaps, or will help those who already have done them to get even better milage.

~Wingnut

Skyhawk13205

I ran across this test conducted on FMTV's for the Army. I searched around to see if someone has posted this before, didn't find it. Forgive me if it has been discussed before. It's nice to see some real numbers and not just speculation of synthetic oils vs what Army likes to run. To save you the read I'll post below the down and dirty summary.

Link to the test. https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA622985.pdf

And the summary

An evaluation of fuel consumption using three FMTVs showed the potential for significant improvement using advanced lubricants. For the engine and transmission, the baseline OE/HDO- 15/40 oil was replaced with a candidate Single Common Powertrain Lubricant (SCPL). The GO- 80/90 baseline for the axles was replaced with synthetic SAE 75W-90 oil selected by TARDEC. Over a two-speed highway cycle, an average improvement of 6.1% was observed. When operated on a cycle which included stationary idle and transients, the average fuel consumption improvement increased to 7.8%.

Seems like a less expensive way to increase milage over gear swaps, or will help those who already have done them to get even better milage.

~Wingnut
Thanks for finding that. I have always wondered why cars are using lighter oil. My guess is most automotive industries are using lighter oils in their cars and trucks to gain higher fuel efficiency.

looks like the engine and transmission oils they went down to 0w-20. It makes since since it is easier to spool a lighter weight fluids than heavier one.

For transmission that is prob fine since TES 295 is at a 0w-20 but the engine viscosity for direct and precombustion engines recommended is 0w-30 for ambient temps of -40F to 86F

I have attached some pics of fluid recommendation from CAT and Allison from my internet research. All data is considered uncontrolled and outdated.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks