• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Synthetic oil

GeneralHauling

Both our machines went through a rebuild in Sagama, Japan in 1975. Which means, we both have the overdrive Spicer transmissions, final ENDT improved engines, and the M809 style steering systems. My unit was built in Reading PA, and delivered directly to Vietnam in October 1965....thus no heater. It sustained damage in late 1968 and substantially more in early 1969. It was reissued to the U.S. Army Reserve unit in Lawrence Township, NJ where it served for the next 40-years until I purchased it at auction in May 2015. It had all but rotted but it runs today because it was properly prepared for long-term storage. It took almost a month to determine if I had a runner and everyday I drove it, the engine only got stronger. I completely dismantled it cab off, gutted the interior, replaced all the gauges with new ones except for the speedometer and tack...900 hours and 26,000 miles. New top, seats, glass, frames, rubber seals, hood, side-panels, fenders, steps, new doors filled with new glass and mechanisms, new radiator, aluminum fuel tank from an M923A1, all new stainless steel wheel studs, USDOT compliant brake lines, a set of new Goodyear G177s, a new bed with drop down sides with new troop seats, and a completely new front and rear wiring harness. The only non-standard change was to tap into the air shift line, and build an air driven lockout for the auto engaging front axle feature. It makes for a far smoother ride when driving without a load on the rears.
Where do you find all your info? I’m a newbie with his first duece and I’d love to see what stories my truck has to tell.

pmramsey

It is quite rare to have the history of a specific military truck. 30 years ago, it was more common to receive complete mechanical and other records from the military when the trucks were sold at auction. This practice mostly evaporated with the move to centralized national auctions. However, trucks like my M54A1 that spent the last 40 years or more of military life with the same reserve unit often have detailed histories maintained. I simply called and spoke with the unit's historian to organize my specific truck's details.

davidb56

Both our machines went through a rebuild in Sagama, Japan in 1975. Which means, we both have the overdrive Spicer transmissions, final ENDT improved engines, and the M809 style steering systems. My unit was built in Reading PA, and delivered directly to Vietnam in October 1965....thus no heater. It sustained damage in late 1968 and substantially more in early 1969. It was reissued to the U.S. Army Reserve unit in Lawrence Township, NJ where it served for the next 40-years until I purchased it at auction in May 2015. It had all but rotted but it runs today because it was properly prepared for long-term storage. It took almost a month to determine if I had a runner and everyday I drove it, the engine only got stronger. I completely dismantled it cab off, gutted the interior, replaced all the gauges with new ones except for the speedometer and tack...900 hours and 26,000 miles. New top, seats, glass, frames, rubber seals, hood, side-panels, fenders, steps, new doors filled with new glass and mechanisms, new radiator, aluminum fuel tank from an M923A1, all new stainless steel wheel studs, USDOT compliant brake lines, a set of new Goodyear G177s, a new bed with drop down sides with new troop seats, and a completely new front and rear wiring harness. The only non-standard change was to tap into the air shift line, and build an air driven lockout for the auto engaging front axle feature. It makes for a far smoother ride when driving without a load on the rears.
Ive tilted a few beers in near by in Sagami Otsuka bar district. back in 1973-74.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks