• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Synthetic oil

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
This is from the current Shell Rotella website, free and available.
WHAT IS PC 11

The new PC 11 category is being driven by changes to fuel economy and emissions regulations that are prompting changes to engine components/sizes and often resulting in hotter operating temperatures.

• PC 11 will provide improvements in shear stability, aeration, adhesive wear, oxidation stability and fuel economy.
  • The new category is expected to arrive in market in 2017.
  • PC 11 will continue to protect while also striving to improve fuel economy through the progression to lighter viscosity oils.
Learn about viscosity and how it can contribute to fuel economy.
Shell is actively testing prototype HDEO designed to meet the future requirements of PC 11.

• Shell has more than approximately 400 vehicles on test with an approximate annual mileage accumulation of more than 20,000,000 miles.
  • Testing a range of engine model years and operating conditions including on and off highway.
The extensive Shell field trial program is demonstrating improvements in fuel economy with no sacrifice in wear protection

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
If I read the ZDDP dosing chart properly, it looks like 4 oz. of ZDDP per 5 quarts of oil
Truck has 5 gallons of lube oil so that make it 4 bottles of ZDDP+ at 37 bucks!
and the oil is 13 bucks a gallon so that will be my $100 oil change and add the money for spin-on filters and maybe I can keep it under 120 bucks and I get to do it myself.
Did I figure that right?

Another Ahab

Truck has 5 gallons of lube oil so that make it 4 bottles of ZDDP+ at 37 bucks!
and the oil is 13 bucks a gallon so that will be my $100 oil change and add the money for spin-on filters and maybe I can keep it under 120 bucks and I get to do it myself.
Did I figure that right?
Plus the $5.88 (cheap!) for the bottle of aspirin against realizing the oil change is close to a Buck-and-a-Half!

rustystud

Plus the $5.88 (cheap!) for the bottle of aspirin against realizing the oil change is close to a Buck-and-a-Half!
One good thing Ahab. If you go with a full synthetic like Delo-400 or Shell Rotella Synthetic you only have to change out your oil every 6,000 miles ! I believe though you can safely go 10,000 miles as long as your not getting excessive soot contamination, and are using a good low micron oil filter. When I still worked at IHC in Tukwilla, WA. the over-the-road semi trucks all added a "Luber-finer" filter. Just a giant oil filter. It added about 2 gallons of oil to the system. These trucks only changed out there oil every 15,000 miles. Some (private owner-operators) went even longer.

JasonS

Which engine manufacturers ? Cummins doesn't, Cat doesn't , Detroit Diesel doesn't. IHC doesn't.
Ford and Honda gas engines; possibly others. AFAIK, the Cummins B series is still mechanical flat tappets.

Does the CJ-4 oil have less ZDDP than the oils available when the multi was designed? It may not be a big issue with this engine given its robust design.

Conversely, I did read that Cummins was OK'ing the use of the older oil spec as it didn't actually cause the DPF/ cat issues they believed it would.

rustystud

Hey Jason, what I was told at work is the newer oils are not good for the older engines due to the lack if Zinc and other heavy metals used for engine wear. All diesels that I know of have gone to roller lifters, I don't know about the gas engines. Since these gas engines run faster (higher RPM's) then the older engines there probably isn't as much wear on them, just a guess. Lack of Sulfur in fuel is also a problem, especially for injection pumps. As far as the Cummins "B" engine goes, it is no longer being made, but the later designs did use roller lifters.