• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Synthetic turbine oil, good source?

Cryogen

I have access to a large supply of synthetic turbine oil, very clean. How do you think this would burn? It is quite thin, I think its pretty close to mineral oil...I want to get a deuce just to go off the grid, I'm not scared to daily drive one, if I can daily drive a head / cam six speed camaro with a heavy clutch I can do a deuce!

flyxpl

U need to take a look at the saftey data sheets on that stuff . It is bad stuff and is unhealthy to be around it when it is burnt .

Cryogen

Also I was looking, and to my surprise the fire resistant hydraulic oil has a flash point of 430 degrees fahrenheit...I wonder how this would burn? I've heard of folks doing 30%....but I always figured this stuff would be so hard to burn.

Also I wonder how do you find the difference between autoignition temperature of the oil vs the flashpoint, They seem similar but Gasoline has something like a 50 degree celsius flashpoint but like 200 degree auto ignition temp (c).

Thanks for the info.

Cryogen

"These products are carbon oxides (CO, CO2). Thermal decomposition products are dependent on
temperature conditions"

From the MSDS on products of combustion...

Last edited:

Jimma

Let us know what you find out. I know people running mineral oil, hydrolic oil, WVO, WMO, transmission fluid, PS fluid, gas mixes and other things.

Cryogen

Yeah I think I'll start collecting the stuff and filtering, from what I read (royco 500) is that its pretty much synthetic mineral oil...very clean too.

mktopside

Banned
Yeah I think I'll start collecting the stuff and filtering, from what I read (royco 500) is that its pretty much synthetic mineral oil...very clean too.
I seem to remember turbine oil having a high level of Benzene in it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember it not being the kind of stuff you'd want to get splashed with.

197thhhc

Definately check the MSDS for any bad stuff. Mineral oil is great but the additives can be deadly to you and people that have to inhale your exhaust as you roll by. You always have to think about collateral damage.

PropDr

Also I was looking, and to my surprise the fire resistant hydraulic oil has a flash point of 430 degrees fahrenheit...I wonder how this would burn? I've heard of folks doing 30%....but I always figured this stuff would be so hard to burn.

Also I wonder how do you find the difference between autoignition temperature of the oil vs the flashpoint, They seem similar but Gasoline has something like a 50 degree celsius flashpoint but like 200 degree auto ignition temp (c).

Thanks for the info.
:shock: I don't think it would be wise to try to burn skydrol. The autoignition temperature of LD-4 is 880°F. Not to mention the fact that it is not compatible with a lot of hose and seal materials (ie Buna N, Buna S, Viton, Neoprene, Natural & Synthetic Rubber, Polyurethane, PVC etc..... If you try it let us know how it goes.

Mil 5606 on the other hand should be no problem.

Last edited:

Cryogen

Yeah I didnt really want to deal with the hydro, that stuff is just nasty.

The turbine oil on the other hand should be quite nice I think.

poppop

I have some Royco 481 turbine oil and also another that just says 1010 turbine oil. The guy I got it from thought that one of them was synthetic but they appear to both be petrolum based. I have looked them up on the internet and they appear to be safe so can I burn these in the Duece??

PsycoBob

Turbine oil fits in the raw-mineral-oil/gear-oil spectrum, usually with a highly-refined base oil, like a group 3, but more recently group 4 Polyalpha-olefin synthetics. Most of the differences are detergents, VII's, oxidation inhibitors, extreme-pressure additives, antifoaming agents- all tuned for the expected operating environment. Sometimes they'll be an odd base oil- PAG, phosphate/synthetic esters, etc.

Turbine oil is simple stuff compared to engine oil. :)
Here's a decent link. Properties of Lubricating Oil

As a final note, yes, check the msds and everything you can find for your particular oil. Please note that the eyewash station has a MSDS that warns to call a doctor if you drink more than 6 liters of saline solution...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks