• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

T-54 arrives!

Augdog1964

Hey all,

Well after a 1.5 year journey, dodging a potential East Coast dockworkers strike, being told by the dock everything from "the hatches are welded shut" to "the motor doesn't run and the batteries are dead", and a major customs issue (which ATF Imports came to my rescue - Thanks Imports!), the T-54 is home.

T-54 Next.jpg

We started finding out how unique she is yesterday... and best yet, all her storage bins were full with all the original tools, barrel cleaning, and river fording materials! She is a true '54 with the exception of the barrel evacuator upgrade...

Non rotating turret floor
No prime for fuel
No compressor for air recharge
Fan in the roof of turret
Early DSHK narrow mount
SGMT bow gun next to the driver (you can see the exit hole on the glacis plate)
Different rear deck setup
and more... I would begin to bore you! LOL!

Glad she's home, and she runs and drives like a top! Thanks ONCE AGAIN to BiffJ for his help, knowledge, and tireless dedication in keeping these beasts moving and working!

T-54 Barrel Point.jpg

Each experience gains more information and knowledge on the importation and movement of military armor... some people just use wingsuits for danger and thrills... they should try importing armor!

The M936 continues to be a star too... here she is helping stow the additional helping axles on to the delivery truck's drop neck lowboy...

M936 helping.jpg

Thanks for this forum! This community is fantastic!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on your acquisition.

I would like to come over and see it in person sometime since I live so close by.

Scarecrow1

Oh well I only wish you had a HOA just to be able to follow the fight that would ensue! Very cool not to many of those around here. But I have to say it !!!!! See I told all of you LOOK WHAT ARNOLD STARTED... :)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now you have to bring it to a SS rally! Haspin would be great in June - the ATV riders there would s**t themselves!

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AWESOME!! That is SO Kewl! Congrats! (I couldn't afford the freight, let alone the piece! LOL) I have a tracked vehicle too!

My skid steer! LMAO

Thanks for sharing!
God bless,
Tony

Augdog1964

Hey Track Steers are AWESOME! In the scheme of things they do a lot more and are a heck of a lot more useful! We have a JD 328 skid steer that is INVALUABLE... I'd love to have a track steer!

AWESOME!! That is SO Kewl! Congrats! (I couldn't afford the freight, let alone the piece! LOL) I have a tracked vehicle too!

My skid steer! LMAO

Thanks for sharing!
God bless,
Tony

Augdog1964

Davin,

Good question, and the easy answer is, its absolutely all over the board. It depends on:

Type of tank... current most valuable is T-34 ranging down to T-55... on pure tank cost. Of course this would be short circuited if a T-80 or T-90 came available... and I'm searching for a T-64... no idea on where it would be as yet.
Country located... prices will vary GREATLY based on where she sits. UK is cheapest... easiest shipping... Ukraine? You might not see your money again.
Condition... Soviet vehicles were designed to be used in mass quantities, and they did not keep their equipment like our forces did. Condition will vary greatly... from perfect war reserve, to basic hull. You really have to see the tank, or know the guy selling it to you unless you want to be disappointed.

So breakdown on the T-54....

Purchase price: $45k
Paint and maintenance: $10k
Ship Freight: $6k
Truck Freight: $7k (NOT a long journey... will greatly increase based on state, width, & weight)
Total: $68k... and this was an easy UK buy and ship.

This represented a very good value for a total unit. Now if its sitting in CZ... the price could be 10 to 15k more due to the shipping and transport needs through CZ and Germany...

These tanks are getting more and more scarce and the days of $10k tanks are long gone... if anyone wants some help finding units I'd be glad to offer advice, assistance, or cautionary tales!

Thanks guys for your kind comments... we love armor!

out of curiosity, since most say they cant afford one, what would a ruski tank like that go for landed on our soil?