• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

T/C N 4th gear short shaft no spin

tucker79

Im trying to find a vibration in the driveline of my 818. Sounds like a bad bearing SOMEWERE???? So I put T/C in neutral and then put trans in gear shouldent the short shaft be spining between the T/C and trans??????

Truck runs and drives fine and the vibration/noice comes and gos after it gets hot running for hf hr or so on the road
Iv been doing a lot of seaching and reading TMs and see that the low range bearings and bearings in the top of the T/C seem to get starved for oil and tend to go 1st.
The poppets seem to be working properly but I have accidently rolled a little bit when backing up in my tight parking spot or at a light on a hill but no popping or binding and T/C shifts Hi/N/Lo no problem
The throw out bearing has been crying for a while anything I can do to service without dropping trans?
Iv also have a chatter from the pto since I installed the winch, messed around with adding and removing gaskets to shim it in and out ANY SUGGESTIONS
If Im going to have to change the T/C Im thinking of doing the T1138 swap a member did here sounds like the answer to a lot of my problems

tucker79

OK got it spinning now dont know what I missed last night but please excuse my brain fart
The front half of propeller shaft/trans output seems to have some up and down and in and out movement when spinning but seems tight when trying to move it with a long bar. Does this seem like out put bearing failing or bent/twisted shaft???
I guess next step is remove short shaft and recheck

Csm Davis

OK got it spinning now dont know what I missed last night but please excuse my brain fart
The front half of propeller shaft/trans output seems to have some up and down and in and out movement when spinning but seems tight when trying to move it with a long bar. Does this seem like out put bearing failing or bent/twisted shaft???
I guess next step is remove short shaft and recheck
Okay next put t/c and transmission in nutral and release the parking brake and have the wheels chocked and if possible someone to hold the brakes while you climb under and check all of the shafts for excessive slack, check all 8 directions, up and down, side to side, in and out, and rotation both ways.

tucker79

I thank you for helping me and its not the 1st time and im sure not the last
With the shaft still in place I can see with the tunnel removed its walking in and out with a little bit of a wobble but by hand and with a bar i cant budge it in any direction with the shaft in place but doesn't look good so far gonna remove shaft and recheck for play
I hear a chatter and more so with tunnel off coming from trans. PTO install seemed to add to this noise added some shims no different
Iv swore from day one that trans seemed HOT Iv heard 180 deg. is normal can you comment on that????
Can the output bearing be replaced or adjusted without removing transmission???
Back lash in front diff seems excessive about 3/4"!! at outside of flange
Just did front pinion seals, wheel bearings, boots, and all brakes, air pack, and rubber hoses replaced spin on fuel filter napa
It makes a lot of noise when idleing T/O bearing is that normal??
I have a 250 with trans coming in a week or 2 that is allegedly a runner for scrap price hope I dont have to try unknown trans but ill have it
Still seems to load up like its sucking air in the fuel but Iv replaced everything except the tank and pump any advice on this subject would be a great help been chasing this one for a while I let the clutch out and seems fine but after idleing it wont rev up or down as fast as it should PUMP???
Dual fuel lines is my next step on the fuel system and may relocate a new diamond plate tank I got laying around to the bed Cant get but one screw out of the pick up in tank
If its not something its EVERYTHING thanks for listening and any suggestions

Last edited: