• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

T-Case LEAKING.

M1009 Fiend

Yep, So drove out to Acton, CA to pick up a" fresher" Axle for my Beast but it seems the hour and a half drive, combined with the 95+ heat finality caught up with me.

So bad leak, off the t-case but i think that it is just a case of bad seals.

How hard is a drop, pull it a part, new seals, and back together or should i go for a full rebuild while i have it off.

I checked with the local 4x4, store and if I take them the t-case they would do a full rebuild for $430 with parts. Worth it?

Check out the pictures and let me know what you guys think.

However I do have a decent commuter car that I i have been driving while i sort this mess out....

Attachments

Cucvnut

431 for a tcase is crazy you can find a used one cheap. check on pirate 4x4 for a used one. and cl your in so cal tons of wheelers down there who don't use the 208. i bet you can find one for 50 bucks.

skark_burmer

$400 seems a bit high, but at $100 per hour shop rate, reasonable.

I suggest you buy a used 208 for $50 or $100 and throw it in, then take yours and rebuild it, they are not difficult at all. Rebuild kit was $34 last time i bought one from rockauto.com.
Then you can take your time and do it right while still driving your truck, and have a known good fresh spare if the current t-case fails.

bushhawg73

Mine leaks a little, A simple oil level check every other engine oil change and we are good. I have added approximately 1/2 quart per year for several years now. I believe mine leaks around the output shaft where it bolts to the front drive shaft. For me this option is a lot cheaper that the 400.00 bill for a rebuild so it works for me.

M1009 Fiend

$400 seems a bit high, but at $100 per hour shop rate, reasonable.

I suggest you buy a used 208 for $50 or $100 and throw it in, then take yours and rebuild it, they are not difficult at all. Rebuild kit was $34 last time i bought one from rockauto.com.
Then you can take your time and do it right while still driving your truck, and have a known good fresh spare if the current t-case fails.
Ya this seems like my best option for the time being.

spartan_185

I too have a leaky transfer case in both of my CUCV's. Like bushhawg73, my leaks are not bad enough to prompt a rebuild. I'm lucky if I loose a quart a year. Most of my fluid is lost around the rear output shaft. The fluid loss looks way worse than it actually is. I found out in a hurry that they aren't joking when when they call it the leak of the week club.

ElevenBravo

I can tell you more about the T case, I just finished breaking mine apart and putting new gasket in all mating surfaces, AND replacing the input seal and both output seals, it was pretty easy. Give me a day or two and Ill look up my notes and post back.

No leaks at all now...

Also gives you the chance to seal up the adapter to transmission too...

Should not take long, can be done in a single day, make sure you have a 3/8 torque wrench handy too... Ill look up the torque specs also for you.

Be back Sunday I hope, to post more...

Andrew