• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

T Case No High Range

rebelqwes87

My transfer case all of the sudden quit going into high range, I just get a slight grinding noise when I try to engage it and let out on the clutch. I have searched and found a handful of threads addressing some possible causes and have ruled them out. I dropped the t-case and broke it down to find that the shift fork has been wearing against the ring that it moves to engage the gears. It has worn a good 1/8" on the side that pushes against the ring to put it in high range. I am assuming that is the problem, I have the spare parts to replace it but I am just wondering what could have caused it and or what could prevent it from happening again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't think there is an adjustment either, unless you're referring to the shift lever for range-It has a threaded portion, but unless the shifter is hitting the floor and not allowing the case to engage low range, I don't think that's it.

rebelqwes, I'd look at the synchros and gears real carefully. If they look good, then replace the shift fork and hope for the best.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes the transfer shifter hits the passenger seat frame going into high. If the interference is too much it won't go into high. You can adjust the shifter down as long as it doesn't hit the floor in low.

sandcobra164

Had the exact same issue in an M818 I picked up for someone. If I snatched it up quickly, it'd engage high range. If I pulled up gently, it'd feel as if it was in position but it wouldn't engage. Quick adjustment of the threaded rod and issue was solved.

rebelqwes87

Adjustment on the threaded rod wouldn't correct the issue, I ended up replacing the whole input shaft, gears, shift fork, etc. I had a spare tcase with other issues and the synchros and gears looked better in it. I test drove it and all seemed well, I guess time will tell though. All I can do is hope for the best like Clinto said. Thanks for the input fellas.

rebelqwes87

OK so I have driven it a few times since and under throttle or load the shifter handle rises a little and when I let off it drops just a hair. Is this normal? It rises and falls maybe 1/2" but it feels securely locked into high range.

Welder Sam

OK so I have driven it a few times since and under throttle or load the shifter handle rises a little and when I let off it drops just a hair. Is this normal? It rises and falls maybe 1/2" but it feels securely locked into high range.
i have one that does this too. it also jumps out of high range now and then. the handle does rest on the floor in low though. looks like ill be raising it up a bit. thats a 3/4 wrench if i remember right.

rebelqwes87

Ok now I got another issue, I was driving last night and all the sudden I hear a fairly loud scrubbing/grinding noise under the floorboard. Only does it when I'm moving, won't do it when tcase is in neutral and granny is in gear.

phil2968

My transfer case shifters all move with the load on the drive train. They touch my leg and I can feel them move up my leg when I climb a hill on the interstate. They go down has soon has I crest the hill and the load goes away.
I think your troubles began with a transfer case linkage out of adjustment and wound up with a transfer that would not hold.
I would repair the TC and then manually engage the high range and then install the linkage making sure it does not bottom out on anything. Then make sure it works in low range with out binding. Just my take on it as a mechanic.2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks