• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

T/S lights

IMA944T

My T/S lights and brake light quit working couple months ago. Then this week the T/S started working again but the are blinking faster than a overrev'd M35.
Can someone please tell me where the common place for the grounds are for the wiring system. Sounds like this is where I need to start.

rlwm211

I would take the lenses off the taillights and look for a short inside the fixture. If a bulb socket has a shorted center conductor you could have the erratic symptoms you are having. It only takes having one TURN/STOP bulb partially shorted to ground to cause all sorts of seemingly unrelated problems.

Just my two cents

RL

IMA944T

I was hoping someone would know of any major ground connections. I will start by checking those sockets now. Have the schem for the woiring now. Going to have it blown up and start working on it.

dabtl

Grounds are funny things. Ha, ha. Check them all, clean them all and replace the rusty inner/outer star washers with new.

Ha, ha. :twisted:

rlwm211

check the tail lights first.

The taillights ground with the mounting bolts.

If you had a bad ground on the flasher it would result in erractic operation of the turn signals but the stop lights and taillights would remain unaffected.

Since your stop lights are not working properly, I would repeat what I said in an earlier post that I strongly suspect a problem in your taillights themselves.

I had a similiar problem with my deuce where the turn/Stop bulb center connector had shorted out intermitently and would cause the turns to not work or the stops to not work, and then the light switch circuit breaker would trip and I would have no lights at all. The fix was a new set of tailights.

Before going to far into this, I would take a few minutes to check the bulb sockets in your taillights. It would not hurt to check the wires from the tail lights to the main harness to make sure they have not rubbed bare on the frame.

To have your stop lights cease working cannot be a resullt of a bad ground in anything but the tail lights. The only other suspect could be a turn signal switch, but that is highly unlikely. The stop lights only ground occurs at the frame in the rear and the connection to the battery. You can check the quality of the ground by measuring the resistance of the socket shell of the light to the negative post on the battery. It should be 1 ohm or less. You can also check for the presence of power at the light by doing a voltage test in the socket. That would verify that the power of the signal or brake switch is getting to the light. There really should be no need to check much more than this to determine what is wrong.

In respect to the idea that a set of tailights can cause this problem, I cannot believe my truck and the problem I had with my tailights is an isolated event. Take out the bulbs and look for a burnt center conductor. All you need is one bad socket and you will get the symptoms you are getting now.

You can check grounds on the truck, but if it starts it has a good enough grond to operate a light.

Just my two cents.

RL

Last edited:

dabtl

I was working on one of my deuces lights last year. I replaced every bolt and star washer but one, on the front where it was messed up with two nuts jammed on the bolt. The other top bolt socket was empty. Nothing worked. On a day of a parade, for no real reason, I decided to fill the missing bolt hole and did. Tightened down the new bolt and washer. Bingo! Lights.

Grounds can be a problem. But, also check the bulb socket and wires also.

jimm1009

The lights also have to have both mounting bolts installed and obviously clean as well (goo ground) or on set of bulbs will work but not the other. I don't remember which side is for which set but both bolts are required for all the lights to work inside of the light assembly.
jimm1009

Yohan

Thanks for the input on this post. I have the same problem and jumped on to see what others have done. I have tail lights, but no brake lights and no turn signals. Head lights and convoy lights work great.