• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

T136-27 Airshift synchro replacement questions

searls84

I had the synchro in my airshift Tcase go out in my truck, so I'm going to attempt to use the synchro out of a sprag transfer case I have laying around. I need some advice and tips/tricks on how to get this done. Any special tools required? Are the gears pressed on the shafts? Torque values? I'm ideally hoping for a "step by step" write up but Any and all input is very appreciated!

Also if anyone can post a link to a "step by step" on how to do this that would be great! I searched and searched for a couple of hours and all I came up with were threads concerning the Tcase slipping out of high range, not the actual replacement of the synchro. As far as looking in the TMs, my computer took a dump, so Im limited to using my phone which can't open them.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have not seen a write up, but from some of the guys that have done it, it sounded like straight-forward of a swap.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tools? Depends; to remove/ install a T-case: a strong 4"x4", 4' long; a chain hoist; to open the cases: common wrenches; maybe a 1/2" impact with 5/8" socket; to disassemble the input shaft assembly: hammer & wood block, or better a bearing puller, or even better a small arbor press; plus a good portion of common sense...! Nothing special, really, and no gears tightly pressed on shafts, for the input at least.

Best tool ever: log-on to SS and post your Q., should you get stuck....!

These two threads contain some useful info:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?95509-Transfer-Case-Bad-Input-Bearing
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?74116-Found-metal-in-my-transfer-case

G.

searls84

Thanks G! That is what I'm looking for! The synchro that went bad is in a "new" Gov rebuild Tcase that I installed in September, so I'm hoping that everything else inside of it should be in good shape.

searls84

Well I need some input on this one, got the parts Tcase split and the synchro that I was planning on using pulled out. It looks pretty worn out in my opinion, but need some second opinions from someone who knows what they are looking at. Is it worth using or time to start looking for a replacement?

image.jpg
image.jpg

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm with Gimpyrobb: that part looks to be re-usable, even if the front tips/ edges of the dogs are a bit rounded, already. Kind of hard to make a final judgement, based on those two photos only.
Wait until you have the other one out, and compare both. If still in doubt shoot some more close-ups, especially from the dogs, both sides.

G.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've used worse in transmissions-no experience with transfers, but it's the same principle.

searls84

The parts t case that came out of always worked great. It never slipped out of high and didnt even settle towards neutral. The low side dogs look brand new, they still have what look like to be "machining" marks still on them. Just a stupid thought, but is there any reason that the synchro can't be flipped around so that the original low gear dogs would be on the high gear side? It looks to fit the same no matter which way it's installed, but then again I'm no expert, thus the reason for this thread! :) Basicallly I'm wanting to avoid having to do this agin ( the whole reason I went with a govt rebuild rather than take out) so will putting the used synchro in only buy more time until it fails again? Gringletaube, what other pics or angles would be helpful?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you can flip that part around, no problem.

Actually I wanted to see the other side's dogs, too. But if you say those look new, than its OK. Just install that side facing to the rear, to engage the large gear (= high range).

Very curious to know what happened with the synchro from that other, rebuilt TC... why it failed in such a short time!?

G.

SteveKuhn

Boy, is this thread timely! I was just thinking about what to do with the one I took out - scrap, try to sell for parts, try to rebuild ....

I've heard of the 'turn around' trick before, but I'd be interested in any replacement part numbers if someone comes up with them.

Thanks.

Steve

DodgerRoger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The syncro in the picture looks good. The further apart the two sets of teeth are when you set the syncro on the gear the better. If the teeth will touch or come close to it the the sycro cannot create enough friction fast enough to keep said teeth from hitting each other as it trys to match the speed of the gear and shaft. To further the life of it while your in it take some emory cloth and rough up the surface of the gear that the syncro touches, and dig out anything you see imbedded in the syncro esspecially the groves.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks