• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

t136 sprag welding

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will have a part-time TC with a .93:1 ratio front to rear output if you don't replace those two gears!

G.

rizzo

it makes the transfer case part time and eliminates the need to shift from forward to reverse and sprag failure. It is for a mud truck and not a MV.

russ81

A friend of mine does the "Mud Drag racing" thing. He set his truck up so the front tires spin faster then the rear. He said this helped pull through the mud instead of pushing, and it improved his steering. Just food for thought.

russ81

A 0.93:1 gear ratio means for every 0.93 rotations of the input shaft you get 1.00 rotation on the output shaft. The number designations follow the drive line path. So, a 0.93:1 ratio increases the speed. For the output shaft to be slower then the input shaft you would see a larger number first, and a smaller number second....such as 4.11:1 which is a popular rear end gear for light trucks. All production 4x4 trucks follow the rule of having a "faster", numerically smaller, gear in the front differential so the rearend isn't pushing, but allows the front end to pull. Using the light truck gear stated above you would have a 4.11:1 in the rear differential, and a 4.10:1 in the front. So the rear drive shaft would be turning 4.11 revolutions at the pinion to rotate the ring gear one revolution. Using a 4.10:1 in the front means is would require less revolution, 0.01, of the front drive shaft to make the same complete revolution of the ring gear.

k5ontherocks

heres why:
1.i got a rebuilt sprag t/case for free,air shift cases are at least $300 around here,and used .
2.this makes it selectable 2 or 4 wheel drive,eliminates the sprag issues.
3.noone has or is making the needed gears or "reb kit" as some call it.
4.this mod cost me almost $0.00 and gets me an almost bulletproof t/case.

yes,if anyone ever comes up with a reb kit or if i can find these gears,id buy them today and do it that way.eventually i would like to find and install an airshift case.

the diff speeds shouldnt be an issue,its not going to see much if any street use with 4x engaged.

i have possibly located a t/case with the reb kit installed i may be able to get later this year,or if anyone reading this has one,i would love to buy or trade ?? for it.

as soon as possible,i will report on how this works and holds up in the truck.
thanks
andy

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
russ81 you are missing the point and also are wrong. the front driveshaft will turn slower and welding it will make it so you cannot drive it on any paved surface and it will perform poorly in mud etc.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
May I suggest a little math for the ones not familiar with the deuce sprag TC...

High range, input to rear output: 33:22 x 22:33 => 1 : 1
High range, input to front output: 33:22 x 21:34 => 1 : 0.926

Low range, input to rear output: 25:33 x 22:33 => 1 : 0.505
Low range, input to front output: 25:33 x 21:34 => 1 : 0.468

See diagram. In order to have equal speed at both output shafts, the red gear must change from 21 to 22 teeth and the blue one from 34 to 33.

Clear?

G.

Attachments

k5ontherocks

Doing it this way will make it selectable 2 or 4 wheel drive,so in 2wd it should be fine on dry pavement(other than the 53" tall v-treads)which i wouldnt be driving on dry pavement in 4x4 anyhow.

do you really think it will perform poorly in the mud?

i wish i could find the right gears and just be done.

in the mud or trails,will that small amount of diff ratios really be noticable??

i really appreciate everyones input here.
thanks

andy

k5ontherocks

Doing it this way will make it selectable 2 or 4 wheel drive,so in 2wd it should be fine on dry pavement(other than the 53" tall v-treads)which i wouldnt be driving on dry pavement in 4x4 anyhow.

do you really think it will perform poorly in the mud?

i wish i could find the right gears and just be done.

in the mud or trails,will that small amount of diff ratios really be noticable??

i really appreciate everyones input here.
thanks

andy

Bigbob300

I realize this is an old post but I am trying to build my T-136 case right. How do you correct the front output ratio dilema? Does someone make a kit? Are the gears from an air shift case 1 to 1?

There are some cones inside the main case on one of the shafts. What does this do?

I have heard of welding the sprag and cannot find any pictures of one that is done. If you weld them, does it permanently engage the front? I want the 2x4 option so if welding will cause this, I will look for something else.

Need some help on this thing bad! Wanting to install it sometime in the near future.

JasonS

I realize this is an old post but I am trying to build my T-136 case right. How do you correct the front output ratio dilema? Does someone make a kit? Are the gears from an air shift case 1 to 1?

There are some cones inside the main case on one of the shafts. What does this do?

I have heard of welding the sprag and cannot find any pictures of one that is done. If you weld them, does it permanently engage the front? I want the 2x4 option so if welding will cause this, I will look for something else.

Need some help on this thing bad! Wanting to install it sometime in the near future.
Memphis equipment made a kit to replace the gears and have a manual engagement (REB). I recently swapped out the whole transfer case due to wear issues (not REB related). The REB worked fine. I do not know if Memphis still offers this kit.

Bigbob300

What did you do with the case you pulled out? Did it have a REB kit in it? If so, would you be interested in selling it or at least taking some pictures of it and sending them to me?

Ridgerunner

Instead of trying to weld up the sprag transfercase, or install a REB kit, why don'y you just dump the sprag case all togather, and swap in an air-shift case in its place?

Air-shifts go any where from $150-300. Not much money in my opinion, for all the work you won't have to do, for trying to make a sprag case into something that it's not designed to do.

Bigbob300

I found out they don't make the REB kit anymore and I am going to use the case I have until I can find an air shift case. Have not been looking too hard but I know they are out there. I recently bought some 10.26 ring gears for the 5 tons and have decided that the 2 to 1 low range of the T136 is enough reduction for the tire I am going to run so, thanks for the advice and I am going to take it.