• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tach question

1bonehead

So I got a new tach cable because my tach stopped working. In the process of replacing the cable i discovered the existing cable seems to function fine. I removed my tach and hooked up the new gauge and tried to see if the tach spun. It doesn't.
So I assume it is the tach? Thoughts?

1969 Kaiser m185a2 is the vehicle

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the cable spin while the engines running ? It took me a few min to get the cable in the groove properly near the engine when I did mine a couple weeks ago.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a tach gauge fail the way you describe. Also, tach cable can fail in interesting ways - it can break and the the broken ends can still interlace to create some movement on the other side. It could fool you into thinking the cable was good. Hold one end while spinning the other should discover whether it really works as it should.
Also check whether the confirmed good tach cable is firmly seated in both the adapter at the engine and the instrument itself.

Last edited:

1bonehead

Ok, well my afternoon and morning got switched by my spousal unit. I put the new cable on and the cable spins to the cab but the tach doesn't. Bad tach so off to buy another one.

btb5023

I am having a similar type problem. It seems that my cable has end play and is coming disengauged from my tach. The square for the tach does not seem to be sticking out far enough to make the drive connection into my tach gauge. i can grab it with needle nose and it has 1/4"-3/8" end play and seem that it is going slack to the motor end and not driving the tach. Anyone else have similar type problem? The cable spins when the motor is running but will not drive the gauge when it is installed.

Another Ahab

I am having a similar type problem. It seems that my cable has end play and is coming disengauged from my tach. The square for the tach does not seem to be sticking out far enough to make the drive connection into my tach gauge. i can grab it with needle nose and it has 1/4"-3/8" end play and seem that it is going slack to the motor end and not driving the tach. Anyone else have similar type problem? The cable spins when the motor is running but will not drive the gauge when it is installed.

:popcorn:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks