• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tach quit - nothing wrong

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tach in my deuce dropped to zero about 30 miles into a 170 mile trip to the San Diego Vets Parade. A quick inspection of the tach drive/adapter showed nothing imploded or leaking so we kept going without the use of a functioning tach. Today I ordered a new cable from Erik's since I ASSuMEd it was probably the cable. Then I went out to take the probably bad cable off.

After removing the new looking cable it discovered there appeared to be nothing wrong with it. I removed the tach/drive adapter and it too seemed to function correctly. I also found another cable on my spare motor. So I had a good cable, a good spare, an offer of a free cable from Gimpy and a new one ordered. I called Erik and he canceled my order with no restocking fee. Top notch dude.

With the drive/adapter and cable working I next pulled the tach. Then I hooked the tach to the cable and connected the cable to a drill. Noting the arrow on the tach case I ran the drill backwards/counter clockwise. The tach functioned fine. Next I hooked up the tach drive adapter to the cable and then to the drill. Everything worked as it should.

At that point the only thing I could think to do was reinstall everything. I connected the drive/adapter and cable and left the tach laying on the fender. I connect the battery's, started the truck and the tach now worked.

I finished reinstalling the tach into the dash and again it tested good. All of the connections were tight prior to removal. I have no idea what was wrong with it. We'll see how long it holds out.

A piece of advice I got from Gimp started out "Never buy anything...." and I figured he was gonna tell me to never assume and check the suspected part first but he said "until you check with me first. I probably have it and I still owe you from that one deal way back when". That's advice I can use!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't the adapter adjustable on the depth it can go in? Maybe it wasn't in enough?