• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tach

4bogginchevys

calibrate.....? dont you just put a trigger on the block ? i've been told most pick-up/triggers on a diesel are magnetic....the tach should have come with instructions unless i'm missing something, shouldn't be much different than a tach on a regular gas motor....except lac o'spark....:)

aboonski

I have been trying to find a way to use my STE/ICE setup as a tachometer with no luck. The unit I bought looked like new but only provides error messages when plugged into the receptacle under the dash. I think mine needs a software upgrade because of the last date that it was calibrated - right now I have a white elephant with this test kit that looks really great but does absolutely nothing! Love to hear from someone who has had a similar experience or who had actually used these things when on active duty.

notsosanestan

its mounts on the alternator its the diesel tach from autometer i got it working just have no real way of knowing the actual engine rpm just guessed seems way off still

someone on here ever use the ste/ice tester? i was thinking about getting one

Last edited:

captw

CUCV tach

I have thought many times about using the stud on the rear of the dr. side alt.( tach. output) to install a tach in the dash...problem is though, I can't see it being that accurate the way the belts loosen, tighten, vibrate, etc. ...W

Tanner

ISSPRO Inc. offers a 2 1/16" tach for 6.2/6.5 GM diesels in 12 volt config that uses 2 magnets attached to crank pulley & sender is bolted to bracket on oil pan -

http://www.isspro.com/catalog/ISSPRO Catalog 2006.pdf > see page 14 of PDF catalog.

TinyTach offers a digital (I know, I'd also prefer a larger analog gauge) tach for diesels that signals via a transducer receiving pulses from an injector line... had this archived in my truck folder for future reference. Have not used one, but it is an option -

Tiny-Tach: Diesel Tachometers

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/images/diesel_instructions.pdf

Diesel Tiny-Tach™ — New Features

• Lighted Display
  • Flash Memory
  • RPM runs to 19,999.
  • RPM updates every 1/2 second (original tach updates 2.5 seconds).
  • Maximum RPM recall feature.
  • 4 Timers
    • Total hours on engine-not resettable.
    • Job timer-resettable.
    • Service Time Reminder -set in hours from 5-50 (an icon flashes).
    • Service Time Reminder 2 -set in hours from 10-250 (an icon flashes).
  • Uses a transducer on the fuel line which must be the correct size for the line-6mm, 7mm, 1/4."
  • You can buy extra transducers in different sizes to use with the same basic Diesel Tach unit.
  • Needs outside 12 volt power source which can come from the engine.
I've also seen articles in the VW diesel forums where an enterprising individual used a photo-optic sensor to read a target off of the VW's diesel injector pump pulley, then converted signal to analog - (IIRC)

'Tanner'

Last edited:

southdave

ok Found the part needed for the hmmvw set up, I have removed my vac. pump, since it is not needed for the 700r4 convert. I did . this what the Mil. uses FAR-0901 45 buck for the sender hook it to what ever elect. you want

Grantshire

Tiny Tach on my 6.2

I have a CUCV engine, Dana 60 and 14 bolt in my M715 with 5.13 gears and 42" Swampers. The 6.2 is mated to a NV4500 and I put a Tiny Tach diesel tach on my alternator (12 volt conversion so only one alternator). Either it is off or my gear/rpm calculations are because the tach reads 2800 rpms at about 65 mph (based on traffic, speedo gear has not been changed). With my gearing, tire diameter and NV4500's OD ratio this is way to many rpms by my calculations (please feel free to check my math). The noise from the engine seems to support the tach numbers and I am in 4th gear (1:1) by 45 mph but I was targeting 2500 rpms at 70 mph.

The M715 was the test case on the tach and I planned to put one on my daughter's Oh-9 but now I am having second thoughts. Anyone else tried a diesel Tiny Tach on their CUCV?